Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New to Open

Full mag

I just purchased a new to me but used STI Competitor. I have been shooting Limited so I have no loads for the 38 Super, I don't even have any powder for it yet. So I am looking for all your guys favorites powders and bullet weights also with OAL. Is anybody shooting a competitor at this time? I won't get it until next week so I figure I will work on getting load info until then. Thanks for all the help and info in advance..

For the Competitor with its original heavy slide and its rather long heavy comp the best load I have found in Accurate #7 at 10.5gr with 125 gr Zero. I think my OAL is 1.240. This produces enough gas to work the old style comp. Accurate #7 is cheap and easy to find. 3N38 and N105 are also good but harder to get and cost more and its just not worth the money. You will find some unburned powder in the gun after a match, just clean the gun.

If your gun has the bull barrel with screw on comp it is very nose heavy and this is actually a plus coming from limited it holds the gun down. Yes open guns have recoil and flip and the pulse is much sharper than that of the Edge. More straight back than flip. If yours has the TruBore barrel it is not quite as nose heavy. If it is too nose heavy for you an Aluminum guide rod makes it feel better, but the trade off is a little more recoil and flip.

These are good old guns I like mine. I have 3 open guns and it has become my favorite. I did have the slide cut down TriTopped and the back cut so slide only weighs 10 oz and it handles a lot better. But again weight and recoil are at odds.

Do a lot of dry fire and do it around walls crouched down in ports etc as well as off the draw this will help you the most. Also practice reloads you can lose the dot coming off a reload. There is nothing more fustrating than being 6 foot from a target and spending 5 seconds looking for the dot. Weak hand strong hand play havoic with even expierenced open shooters.

Welcome to the dark side. It took me a year and a Quinn Mount to start liking open.

I just purchased a new to me but used STI Competitor. I have been shooting Limited so I have no loads for the 38 Super, I don't even have any powder for it yet. So I am looking for all your guys favorites powders and bullet weights also with OAL. Is anybody shooting a competitor at this time? I won't get it until next week so I figure I will work on getting load info until then. Thanks for all the help and info in advance..

I have a used Competitor for a backup and have been shooting the Competitor a lot lately. Send me a PM with your email and I will give you some info.

Stick with 1.235" OAL and a .378" or so crimp. I like 115gr MG JHPs, but plenty of folks like 121s and 124/125s (either MG or Zero). Popular powders seem to be N350, Silhouette, Longshot, 3N37, 3N38, 4756, 7625, N105 and a couple of others. I've got several pages of notes taken (stolen!) from here if you're looking for something particular.

I haven't found anything that is flatter or softer than N105 with a 115gr JHP....10.5gr in my gun normally makes 173-174PF. I've shot that load in three or four guns with different setups and it was excellent in all of them. I know at least three other friends I've loaned some to, but didn't get to shoot the gun, and they all really liked it as well. R,

I have shot a few 115's over N105 and yes they are a little softer shooting. N350 was ok but not as sweet as AA#7 or 3N38 or N105. That old style comp needs a lot of gas to get working and the slower powders make that happen. I picked up 8# kegs at the local skeet range store for $118.00 for AA#7 so its a bargain compared to ordering N105 at around $100 for 4# +haz +shipping. Its amazing how fast your powder measure goes dry loading for open.

I just got a notice the Natchez Shooting supply has CCI small pistol primers in stock, but sticker shock $39.00 per 1000.

I would like to thank everyone for there help. It's going to be nice to have a starting place instead of being all over the map, this really will shorten the learning curve for the right load. I did search to start with, but I know that different guns like different loads and somebody most own a Competitor. Thanks again to all that have helped. I hope to have the gun Tuesday, I am have a hard time waiting its like waiting for Christmas morning... Thanks... C.

Here is what I used for my Competitor to get a 171-173 PF:

124 grain MG JHP

8.9 grains IMR 4756

1.233 OAL

0.380 crimp

Winchester Small Rifle Primers

Remington .38 Super brass

Edited by XD Niner

Here is what I used for my Competitor to get a 171-173 PF:

124 grain MG JHP

8.9 grains IMR 4756

1.233 OAL

0.380 crimp

Winchester Small Rifle Primers

Remington .38 Super brass

That is just about what I use as a "back-up" load, if I have trouble getting N-350, but, if you're going to run 4756, get a BIG can of it. It seems like every batch I get, chronos differently.