Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shell plate bearing

Does this mod work on the 550B? If so, are there any things that need to be done other than install the bearing and washers?

This mod *will not* work on the 550 as is... the 550's star, doesn't have a hole large enough for these washers. Uniquetek.com has an upgrade for the 550 with a new star that fixes this issue.

Alan

ps. If *anyone* buys one from ebay for $12.95, they need their head examined... I figured all this out, see the other thread and you can buy the parts for $4.25 from McMaster Carr (www.mcmaster.com)... PN's and info in the original thread.

Rory you are right. One washer on top of shell plate then the bearing on top of the washer, and then the second washer on top of the bearing. The center bolt keeps everything in position. I load 9major with powder near the top of the case. Before installing the bearing I had some spillage of powder. Now I have minimal spillage.

• 2 weeks later...

I find that, even with the bearing setup, (mcMaster) I still get an abrupt stop and small amounts of powder flicking out on full cases. What I do now is hook a finger on the case at station 3 (650) on the upstroke, with bullet in hand, and gentle back pressure to slow it's indexing. It doesn't slow me down at all. 357's with H-110 are the worst I've dealt with, small diameter case, almost full, fine grain powder. It's all part of the bullet setting rhythm