Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What size primer do I need to reload 223/5.56mm ?

Lawdog

You want to use small rifle primers for 223/5.56. I have read good reports about Wolf small rifle primers. CCI#41 are 5.56 mil spec primers, harder cup to prevent slam fires in AR-15 type rifles.

Don't buy Remington 6 1/2 small rifle primers, they are not for 223.5.56 loads. See Remingtons web sight for more information.

i've never seen any reloading data that called for small magnum primers. that said, you'll be best served by getting a reloading manual or published (i.e. vendor published, not hearsay that you get from people like me) reloading data that covers the powder/projectile you want to use. For example, you can get accurate powder's reloading manual online here: http://www.accuratep...3%20version.pdf

Hogdon/winchester/imr data can be found here:http://www.hodgdon.c...ic%20Manual.pdf

.223 makes about 55,000 psi and (at least from an AR) that chamber is 4 inches or so from my face. I'd get a loading manual before i put together any test rounds...

-jared

Check a load manual for small rifle vs small rifle magnum(or ask here with the powder you use). Hogdon calls for magnum with H335. Not all recipes call for a magnum, depends on the powder you are using. I have used the CCI WB and had no problems.

Wolf Small Rifle Magnum info direct from my vender.

"Wolf Small Rifle Magnum primers have the same power as regular Wolf Small Rifle primers, but the cup is a little thicker and less sensitive".

...according to Widener's, Wolf went with this cup to prevent doubling. They have ignited perfectly in my AR.

Jim

+ 1 for the reloading manuals.... Also.. get you a bound notebook and document every load you make. Document all your load data on every load every time. I did not figure this out until 5 or so years into reloading. You can always look back at your own data from your own firearms. My memory is not worth gravy.... so if i don't write it down ... it didn't happen.

• 3 weeks later...

I've had good luck picking up older reloading manuals (maybe 1-2 versions back from the current versions). This is a good way to get several books and then be able to compare them. I've found this is a great way to learn as they each tend to provide somewhat different and somewhat overlapping information.

can't edit my post above, but stand corrected. havejust been looking into remington primers and found that most people indicate you should not use their standard 6 1/2 primer, but instead use the 7 1/2. checked remington website and couldn't find anything there, and none of the reloading manuals I have mention remington primers (all showing federal or winchester primers). references i found indicated that the remington 7 1/2 is preferred over the 6 1/2 not because of the hotter spark, but because of the thicker cup which is more resistant to a pierced primer under pressure.

-jaredr

can't edit my post above, but stand corrected. havejust been looking into remington primers and found that most people indicate you should not use their standard 6 1/2 primer, but instead use the 7 1/2. checked remington website and couldn't find anything there, and none of the reloading manuals I have mention remington primers (all showing federal or winchester primers). references i found indicated that the remington 7 1/2 is preferred over the 6 1/2 not because of the hotter spark, but because of the thicker cup which is more resistant to a pierced primer under pressure.

-jaredr

Thus my reference to magnum primers earlier.