Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

+3 or +5 Extended Mag Tube for my 1100?

GunCat

I've got a 28” 1100 than I'm going to take over for my (occasional) multi gun match. I'm strictly a limited / tactical class kind of guy. The first idea was to get the +3 tube and cut back /re-thread the barrel to match (similar to the Remington TAC 4). Then I start wondering if the gun may run better with +5 tube so the spring is a little less compacted when I put 8 in the tube (and leave the barrel length as is)

Opinions?

If the long barrel does not bother you, I would put the +5 tube on it. It will be easier to load 8 into the +5 tube because you are not compressing the spring as much. For matches that say shotgun capacity can be no more than 9 (for limited) it is easy to plug the tube so that it only holds 8.

Even If I were going to cut the barrel, I would put a magazine tube on the gun that would let me have an 8+1 shot capacity and cut the barrel to match the length of the tube.

Hurley

I would go with a +4 tube and leave the barrel at 28. It looks good and you do not have to count rounds on the go in USPSA. Other matches are run under so many different rules and the +5 would be nice, and others the barrel has a max. length of 22 inches (this sure makes one brand stand out) so the +3 and a cut down barrel is the only way to go.

Edited by elynch2007

It depends totally on the rules you plan to shoot under. Around here, outlaw matches rule. Under the most prevalent outlaw rules (IMA), I can run my 11-87 with a 10+1 capacity in Tactical divisions. I can only START the stage with 8+1 loaded, but after the beep I can stuff in as many as I want. This is a significant advantage a high percentage of the time - in maybe 50% of stages, I find a place where it is helpful to load over 8+1 in the gun. The extra length is a non-issue in most stages. You could take the approach I did and buy both an 8+1 and a 10+1 mag tube, and cut the barrel back to 22":

3-GunShotgun.jpg

11-87shortmagshortEZLoader.jpg