Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New shooter in KY

HCShooter

Just wanted to take a couple minutes and introduce myself. I'm a new shooter to the USPSA world. I match under my belt and hopefully several more to come.

Currently planning to shoot Limited 10/limited with a Glock 22 (if I ever get my new barrel)and production with an M&P 9. Like I said, fairly new to the sport, but grew up shooting anything I could get my hands on.

I've lurked here for a while. Definately a lot of information to digest as I progress in honing my skills. Great site, seems like a large group of knowledgable and helpful people. Hopefully soon I'll have enough experience that I'll be able to contibute/help out.

Gary

Edited by HCShooter

Just wanted to take a couple minutes and introduce myself. I'm a new shooter to the USPSA world. I match under my belt and hopefully several more to come.

Currently planning to shoot Limited 10/limited with a Glock 22 (if I ever get my new barrel)and production with an M&P 9. Like I said, fairly new to the sport, but grew up shooting anything I could get my hands on.

I've lurked here for a while. Definately a lot of information to digest as I progress in honing my skills. Great site, seems like a large group of knowledgable and helpful people. Hopefully soon I'll have enough experience that I'll be able to contibute/help out.

Gary

Welcome!

Thanks for the welcome.

Corey, I'm planning to shoot my new M&P 9 in the next couple matches in production. Lone Wold has the barrels on back order for the next 4-6 weeks I'm told. Had I know that before I ordered, I would have likely gone with a KKM.

Fun times ahead!

Thanks for the welcome.

Corey, I'm planning to shoot my new M&P 9 in the next couple matches in production. Lone Wold has the barrels on back order for the next 4-6 weeks I'm told. Had I know that before I ordered, I would have likely gone with a KKM.

Fun times ahead!

Make sure you have enough mags for next Sunday: I think Corey said the round count is ... What ... Close to 150?!

Hiya Kentucky.. I had such a great welcoming when I joined up just a couple weeks ago I'm happy to be able to do the same for someone. This is actually the 1st time I've been able to do something for someone else in the forum. I'm way too new to handguns to offer help or advice but I figure I can extend a hand in welcome. So, you've got a match under your belt? 1st one did you say? What was it like? Whatcha shoot?

Frank

Thanks for the welcome.

Fun times ahead!

Make sure you have enough mags for next Sunday: I think Corey said the round count is ... What ... Close to 150?!

Na its just going to be 115 but 6 stages as usual for the 5th sunday match.

Planning on lower round count. Set up with 4 mag's, that should get me though the stages unless I have a lot of Mike's.

Frankie D, yes, one match so far. Was a great learning experience for me. As usual with new shooters (based on others comments) I fell into most of the traps that new shooters do. Things happen in your head very quick, but if you're lucky enough to have a video of the stages, or at least someone who you know will give honest feed back, you'll find that you don't move nearly as fast as you think.

Personally, for my first match, I feel that I shot very well and scored well, but again, it happens faster in your head than it really does on the ground. My time was slow. Not embarassed by it at all, and I don't think that any of the shooters I was with felt bad about it. I was safe, navigated the courses well, and was a responsible participant. As a new shooter in USPSA, I feel those last 3 items are key. Accuracy is the next key for me. Speed will come with practice and better stage planning/ will be a by-product of the first 4 items (safety, course navigation, responsible participant, accuracy).

Planning on lower round count. Set up with 4 mag's, that should get me though the stages unless I have a lot of Mike's.

Frankie D, yes, one match so far. Was a great learning experience for me. As usual with new shooters (based on others comments) I fell into most of the traps that new shooters do. Things happen in your head very quick, but if you're lucky enough to have a video of the stages, or at least someone who you know will give honest feed back, you'll find that you don't move nearly as fast as you think.

Personally, for my first match, I feel that I shot very well and scored well, but again, it happens faster in your head than it really does on the ground. My time was slow. Not embarassed by it at all, and I don't think that any of the shooters I was with felt bad about it. I was safe, navigated the courses well, and was a responsible participant. As a new shooter in USPSA, I feel those last 3 items are key. Accuracy is the next key for me. Speed will come with practice and better stage planning/ will be a by-product of the first 4 items (safety, course navigation, responsible participant, accuracy).

Gary...Thanks for the reply. Quick question as I'm still learning the lingo of the trade... What's a "Mike"? You mentioned you weren't embarassed about your time/score. That's an issue I'm trying to overcome in my head. Poor performance just doesn't sit well but I think I have to believe that a few shooters will just step up and offer help and advice. I'll screw up the gumption ( howya spell that?)to fire in a local steel match with whatever I can carry to the range and hope for consolation/advice later.

thanks again

Frank

When Scoring common terms are

A- Alpha B- Bravo C- Charlie D- Delta and the dreaded M- Mike (Mike is a Miss)

Get to the Range and have fun. Repeat....

:)

And Welcome to you both...

Thank you, Clyde, for thie "mike" stuff. Goin' to the range and shoot a few. Later

Frank d.

Thanks Clyde.

Frankie don't worry about what other people think. Everyone out there, at some point was a new shooter and I would bet $$ that they remember their first match in much the same way.

I talked to several shooters prior to that match, many of them said "you're going to do this, this and that". Well, guess what, I did 90% of those things. When I told them, they just laughed and said that the majority of shooters do those things the first couple matches.

Point is, we're all new at some point. If you're safe/responsible, the guys on your squad wno't mind shooting with you at all.