Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

need to order some bullets

tooslo

I'm sure this has been discussed to death, BUT...

I am currently loading 124 MG fmj and need to order more. I've read alot of posts that seem to favor 147's. I shoot a Glock 17 in USPSA production. Also, I use TG and 231 mostly. I just can't seem to find a load that beats factory for accuracy.

Suggestions?

I'm sure this has been discussed to death, BUT...

I am currently loading 124 MG fmj and need to order more. I've read alot of posts that seem to favor 147's. I shoot a Glock 17 in USPSA production. Also, I use TG and 231 mostly. I just can't seem to find a load that beats factory for accuracy.

Suggestions?

If it works for you, why change?

I just ordered zero 124gr FMJ from Shooters Connection. They had them in stock.

Dave

It's not easy to make a reload that beats the accuracy of factory stuff, and almost impossible to do so if you're using mixed brass. But, reloads are more than accuracte enough for USPSA/IDPA targets. As for shifting from 124 to 147 grain, I think that you'll find the 147 grain loads (at 880-900 fps) will make PF easily (129-132 PF) and with less recoil than 124 grain loads. IMHO, the 147 also knocks down steel better. The 147 is my choice for a 125 PF 9mm requirement. I have no experience loading them with TG or 231 (I favor WSF, 3.9 grains) but I suspect there are loads for those two powders (especially 231) that will do that 880-900 fps/147 for you.

Chris Christian

It's not easy to make a reload that beats the accuracy of factory stuff, and almost impossible to do so if you're using mixed brass. But, reloads are more than accuracte enough for USPSA/IDPA targets. As for shifting from 124 to 147 grain, I think that you'll find the 147 grain loads (at 880-900 fps) will make PF easily (129-132 PF) and with less recoil than 124 grain loads. IMHO, the 147 also knocks down steel better. The 147 is my choice for a 125 PF 9mm requirement. I have no experience loading them with TG or 231 (I favor WSF, 3.9 grains) but I suspect there are loads for those two powders (especially 231) that will do that 880-900 fps/147 for you.

Chris Christian

Just started load 147gr MG over 3.9 gr of ww 231 PF = 128 + real accurate in my M&P 9

I've never reloaded MG (assuming your talking about Montana Gold brass jacketed) 147 9mm bullets. But, I shot enough of them in the factory Cor-Bon 147 grain Performance Match 9mm load (and the Cor-Bon 230 grain .45 ACP load, and the old 147 grain .38+P load) load in IDPA sanctioned matches to know that Montana Gold is a very a accurate bullet in my CZ 85, CZ 75B, M&P 9mm (standard size), Ruger GP-100 and M&P 45. As for reload data, I don't have any. But, a bullet (at least the jacketed variety) doesn't really give a hoot what powder spanks it in the butt and sends it down the barrel ( as long as the velocity/powder burn is reasonably consistent). If it's an accurate bullet it will fly well. I think MG slugs are just fine. Got some trophies to show for it.

Chris Christian

Just order a thousand from somebody to see if you like them before commiting to whole cases.

Any somebodys preferred?

This has all been in my M&P Pro:

So far I've tried Zero 147gr JHP, Montana Gold 147gr CMJ and Precision Delta 147gr FMJ-TC. I have some Zero 147gr FMJ's on the way. Right now I'd have to say that the Zero 147 JHPs have been the most accurate (all factory AA&A ammo), with the MG 147 close behind. I was having a bit of a powder measure issue (wrong bar in it) before so I wasn't getting the most consistent powder drops (dummy). That pushed my ES and SD numbers way up and most of the spread I was seeing in the groups was vertical...which makes sense. Having corrected that problem I've chrono'd a few strings with great numbers (SD under 5), but haven't gotten to shoot any groups with them yet. So, the MG's might turn out to be just as good as the Zeros....should know soon.

I haven't been able to get good accuracy with the Precision Delta 147s at all. I've only worked with two powders and a couple of charge weights (all one OAL) but 4" was about the best I could get at 25yds off a rest. The Zeros and MG's were half of that, or better, with several 1.25" groups using the Zeros. I may have to try changing the OAL, but may just burn them up for practice and stick with MG's going forward (easier to get than Zeros). R,

Edited by G-ManBart

Hello: I use Montana Gold 121 IFP with 4.2grains of Tite Group. The OAL is 1.140" and Winchester primers. This made 133 PF at this years nationals through my Glock 17. It makes 131PF through my Chrono. Thanks, Eric

You sound like just the guy I'm looking for! Do you find the IFP's to be more accurate than the 124 FMJ's?

What mods does your 17 have? What division are you shooting?

Thanks for the replys.

I also run a Glock 17 in production. I am still on the hunt for the best practice / match loads for FMJ 115 - 124 grain bullets. I have been working up loads with Titegroup and one of my favorites so far is Winchester 124gn FMJ over 4.1 grains of Titegroup at 1.120 COL. Avg 135pf soft and accurate.

Edited by Collateral