Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

M2 VS SX3

Y. Koester

I am looking to get a new shotgun for 3 gun. I have picked these two because they are lighter in weight. I want to know by people that have shot both which one is the better gun? Are they both the same as far as reliabilty? Does everyone shoot benelli's just cause they are the best, or is the sx3 a rising star? Please don't tell me to do a search cause I have already done that. Also if there is another gun that is in the same weight range then please give me your thoughts. Thanks

I am looking to get a new shotgun for 3 gun. I have picked these two because they are lighter in weight. I want to know by people that have shot both which one is the better gun? Are they both the same as far as reliabilty? Does everyone shoot benelli's just cause they are the best, or is the sx3 a rising star? Please don't tell me to do a search cause I have already done that. Also if there is another gun that is in the same weight range then please give me your thoughts. Thanks

The only guy I know running an SX3 in 3 gun is 00bullitt. As some people will tell you, with respect to which one is "better" this will often vary between shooters and preference for inertia or piston operating systems. Also, neither gun will be 100% reliable all the time. The FN SLP Mk1 is by all accounts, the rising star in 3 gun shotguns.

Edited by cold

If it comes down to it I prefer the SX3.

Also instead of the FN I would get a 24" SX3. This allows you the advantage of a rib instead of the iron sight setup of the FN as well as allowing you the option to run a longer mag tube which can offer a capacity advantage at matches that allow you to carry more rounds in the tube after the beep.

Well, I understand, if you want to keep useing the excuse of "it's because my shotgun crapped out out on me on stage 3"

then go ahead. Dont buy a Benelli !! :D

I am not sure i want to drink the kool aid just yet. plus i like excuses.

I've been shooting my SX3 for the past year.(if you do a search,my threads will come up of what I did to build it) I changed from a Benelli. Why? I just sorta wanted change and wanted to fool with a gas gun that was lighter than the Benelli. I really like my SX3. Is it more reliable than a Benelli. No....its on par with my Benelli.

Recoil is about the same with a slight different feel mostly due to the increased cyclic speed of the bolt. My shoulder still feels the same recoil though. I haven't seen a shotgun that I would consider 100% reliable yet. Its a shotgun. They choke on occasion. Some more than others. Just look at the size of shell and how much each one of those things weighs and you'll realize it as a mechanical object succeeds at accomplishing a tough feat.

The FN SLP is very soft shooting due in part to its weight. The SX3 has reduced weight because of the vent rib barrel being much lighter than the straight 22" barrel with cantilever mount on the SLP Mk1. The barrel accounts for 13 ounces of the 20 ounce weight difference of my SX3 to the FN SLP Mk1. The other additional weight is in the furniture and sleeve that covers the mag extension on the SLP. My SX3 with cut down 21" barrel weighs in at 6lb 10oz. and holds 8+1 rounds with the mag tube flush with the barrel.

I really like my SX3. It has run great(so far)and not given me any more slight feed mishaps than my Benelli ever did. I've found with any shotgun that they like to be fed good food. Feed them good food and they stay happy and work harder more often. Feed it McDonalds and it gets lazy and less likely to do good work.

All shotguns(even them damn sghetti slingers) need regular maintenance. They benefit from spring replacements often.

X2, X3, SLP....once the bugs are out are great guns. I think the felt recoil on the X3 on a friends gun is a little harder because the gun weighs less than my X2.

Benelli's are just as finicky. Many dollars have been spent with smith's on the actions and getting some wt. off the slides.

Well, I understand, if you want to keep useing the excuse of "it's because my shotgun crapped out out on me on stage 3"

I am not sure i want to drink the kool aid just yet. plus i like excuses.

Oh but this is not your regular punch flavor coolaid, it's tomato flavored !! :P

No really I would like to hear more opinions on the SX3 as well ?

Benelli's never malf :rolleyes: their shooters just experience mythical malfunctions.

I've been running a SX3 grey shadow since before RM3G last year. 100% so far. Added a Nordic +6 tube, plug it for USPSA. Only thing I dont care for on it is the bead front sight, a little imprecise for my tastes. Install blade rear and F/O front and you're good to go (much like 00bullit did).

Its light like a Benelli, transitions FAST. Got a little more free recoil than my SX2, which is about 1.5 lbs heavier, but that is to be expected. Man up, pull it up tight to your shoulder and keep pressing the bang switch. You do your part IT WILL DO ITS PART.

Even though I have a SX2, a Benny-ized M2 Super 90, and a Saiga Firebird conversion,... my SX3 aint for sale.

Just different strokes for different folks. There is no "wrong" shotty of any the previously mentioned. If you shoot it well and are confident with it, then that is the one for you. I personally am on the FN bandwagon, its been great for me. I was one of only a handfull of people that had the FN @ HPSC last year. Now that it has had a rise in popularity this year, I'm curious to see how many show up this year. And the reason I sinlge out HPSC is of course being shotty specific. Have also been thinking of building an SX3 after shooting a match with 00Bullit.

I am currently building a FNH into a full blown race shotgun...24"VR with all of the standard mods. Preliminarily I am very happy. Even after swapping to the light barrel the sight seems to move only about half as much as my 21" M-2. Once it is done we will do a weight comparison to 00's SX3.