Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Poly coated bullet chamber check

GForceLizard

I use a 9mm Lyman cartridge check guage. Loading Precision Bullets 125gr and Black Bullets Int 130gr they don't always drop in and out clean. The bullets are a little larger than that part of the gauge. When testing Hornady FMJ 115gr and Montana Gold JHP 124gr the loaded cartridges always pass. Is this to be expected with this type of lead poly coated bullet? The Bullet and coating can't keep a tolerance as close as you can with a jacketed bullet? When this started I tried just dropping a bullet through the gauge. FMJ and JHP drop through, the coated bullets do not and stick in the gauge. Want to know if anyone else has noticed this.

Chamber checked the failures in a Glock 17 barrel, as expected, no problem. All work fine as loaded ammo so far.

The only chamber check that matters is,,,,,, well the chamber. The gauges will either pass stuff that wont chamber or fail stuff that will. Cast bullets are .001 bigger than jacketed. as long as it isnt an problem caused by too long an OAL you should be ok. But to know for certain drop it in the chamber of the gun you plan to use just like you did.

All of my case gauges are "Wilson's" and are a lot tighter than any of my barrels, and they will run "Precision" bullets through them.

Maybe you aren't seating the bullets far enough??

All of my case gauges are "Wilson's" and are a lot tighter than any of my barrels, and they will run "Precision" bullets through them.

Maybe you aren't seating the bullets far enough??

yeah, definitely loading too long, for the gauge. If they drop in and out of the chamber, who cares. Precisions have a sharp angle down to the flat point. This leaves long section at full bullet diamere.

I use a EGW gauge with these bullets and have the same issue with some rounds. If they drop in far enough that i do not see the the extractor groove at all, then I don't worry about it. That's what works for me with my gauge, so YMMV. I still throw aside the ones that show the grove at all and check those in with the barrel when i have a bunch of them.

I use Precision mostly in 40 and they are loaded out long to 1.200. These bullets won't drop check in anybody's checker.

To check them if they drop into the extractor groove ok, then turn them around and insert them backwards.