Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI Alum grip checkering

ogiebb

Looks nice, but I bet that front checkering is real sharp and not so comfortable. I have a CCF aluminum frame for one Glock that has similar checkering and found it uncomfortable to the point where I covered it up. I have 2 STI Aluminum grips with TrueGrip tape on them and find it provides a great grip.

How much were you quoted for the work?

grip tapes are great but id rather have something that does not peel off (Just have too many bad experience with them, works great for some of my buddies though)......i have a singlestack with the same checkering and i just took off the sharp edges with a 600 grit and just bead blasted until it looks new again

Edited by ogiebb

grip tapes are great but id rather have something that does not peel off (Just have too many bad experience with them, works great for some of my buddies though)......i have a singlestack with the same checkering and i just took off the sharp edges with a 600 grit and just bead blasted until it looks new again

ogiebb,

Where did you find this photo? From the looks of the mount, this gun was made in Asia?

ogiebb,

I also would be interested in getting some permanent checkering or texturizing. Where did you find this photo? From the looks of the mount, this gun was made in Asia?

Well, think about it - the grip costs in the $450 neighborhood (and STI isn't giving their dealers much in the way of margin on them, so cost to the guy making that grip is basically $450, as well...). Add in either the cost to develop a model for a very limited market product and then modify it to do the checkering via CAD/CAM, or the cost of manual labor to do each on individually, and you have an $800+ grip very quickly. Your other alternative is the SV route (will they fit a grip to an STI? I don't know... haven't looked into it, myself) - but then you're stuck with the SV magwell...

Well, think about it - the grip costs in the $450 neighborhood (and STI isn't giving their dealers much in the way of margin on them, so cost to the guy making that grip is basically $450, as well...). Add in either the cost to develop a model for a very limited market product and then modify it to do the checkering via CAD/CAM, or the cost of manual labor to do each on individually, and you have an $800+ grip very quickly. Your other alternative is the SV route (will they fit a grip to an STI? I don't know... haven't looked into it, myself) - but then you're stuck with the SV magwell...

Great points, Xre. It would seem that the price would definitely be considerable until demand increases which I predict will happen.

Does anyone know what type of fitting is required to fit an aluminum SVI grip to a STI frame rail?

Great points, Xre. It would seem that the price would definitely be considerable until demand increases which I predict will happen.

Does anyone know what type of fitting is required to fit an aluminum SVI grip to a STI frame rail?

i dont think SV is doing grips in Alum anymore? i think they are all steel now