Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.223 decaping resizing die and 1200 trimmer

davester00

I have a new dillon .223 decapping/resizing die and it was purchased new from brianenos.com.

It seems to dent the shoulder of my cases. there doesn't seem to be anything stuck on the shoulder of the die.

? Am I correct in assuming that dents on the shoulder will cause variations in head space and consistency?

How dangerous is it to shoot rifle ammo with a dent in the shoulder?

Also I lube my cases but it still seems that it takes a little more effort to resize and trim than it dose to resize and decap a pistol round. Is this normal?

Do you think I should call dillon and ask them to replace the die?

Thanks in advance

What I will do if I have not used the 223 dies for a wile , I will lube up a case (at the neck) with my finger rubbing the brass & lube and thin use a Qtip and lube the inside of the case neck so that the exspander die has lube on the top and bottom sides.

Yes it will take almost twice as hard to work / size the rifle brass. untill the die gets lubed up.

one in 20 rounds I will lube the inside of the case neck

the dents should go away when you get the lube rite.

Not seeing your rounds I don't know if you will have a headspace problem.

put it in a casecheck gauge

or when you are at the range cylce it through the gun by hand , :unsure: if the rounds go into and out of the chamber it would more than likely be ok to shoot one and check the brass,

I have shot dented brass in my gun but not with dents in the shoulder, and not in a match

Edited by AlamoShooter

I thought I read somewhere that those dents are caused by to much lube.

It can also be caused by something stuck in your die :closedeyes: To much lube or not enough. I like the spray type and use it sparingly. When I over do it is when I see more dents than not. OH and always have a case remover handy at all times!

I thought that as well, too much lube is causing the dents ie.. liquid is not easily if not at all compressable thus causing dent in the shoulder area, will it cause problems??? only wayto find out is to chamber one in your particular gun, and like the others have said, go sparingly on the lube, and things should eventually even out

sizing rifle will take a lot more force than what your used to w/ pistol so no problems there....

Try this. Take five cases that you know are ok, no dents or anythings. Squirt a little Dillon lube in a tray and use your fingers and run the lube all over the case, just so it is slick. Then resize those pieces of brass and inspect them.

If you have dents on them, then call Dillon about the die. If you are denting them with lube, you are using way too much, but it is better to use a little too much than not enough....LOL

Good luck,

you will figure it out!

DougC

Thanks for the input it is very helpful.

I used a little more lube this time and the dents went away. I am very happy.

I am finding that there is a lot of resistance when I am putting the resized brass thru the .223 trim die.

Are you guys finding that there is resistance with your trim die?

+1 reminder the the trim die is a sizing die also. I have one 1050 toolhead dedicated to prepping rifle brass - deprime/resize, swage primer pocket, trim, expand neck. I've adjusted the sizing die to do all resizing and have the trim die set to only resize, i.e. by the time a cartridge gets to the trim station, it has already been fully resized, and the trim die is adjusted to trim the brass without actually moving the shoulder back or resizing the cartridge. This is simply done by backing the trim die out so it won't touch a properly sized cartridge and then adjusting down the cutter head so it trims to the right cartridge length.

reason for this is I was concerned that if I ever got a cartridge stuck, I didn't want to have to remove the trim die (looks more fragile with cutout for trim head and more of a pain to readjust after clearing a stuck cartridge). so far, i have never had a stuck .223, but i've had plenty in .308 and man are they a pain...

-jared