Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stupid Questions

Steve Koski

I primarily shoot IDPA matches, with the occasional local USPSA match tossed in. I'm going to shoot a "semi-big" USPSA match in a couple months and want to make sure I'm not blowing any equipment rules.

I'm pretty sure I can't shoot a Glock 35 in Production. Correct? Could I shoot the 35 in Limited 10 - Major?

Thanks,

Koski

I primarily shoot IDPA matches, with the occasional local USPSA match tossed in. I'm going to shoot a "semi-big" USPSA match in a couple months and want to make sure I'm not blowing any equipment rules.

I'm pretty sure I can't shoot a Glock 35 in Production. Correct? Could I shoot the 35 in Limited 10 - Major?

Thanks,

Koski

Download to no more than 10 rounds in any mag after the start signal, strap your gear on with a Production-compliant rig (your IDPA rig would likely do well), and you can absolutely run that 35 in Production.

I think your sights are fine, and the mag baseplates also. I don't think the non extended mag release would be legal for production.

I don't think it's legal because the extended mag release is a factory part, and if you can't add one to a model that doesn't have one, you can't remove one from a model that does have one.

Did that make sense at all? As it sits right now with replacing the mag release you could do limited or limited 10.

Guys correct me if I'm wrong.

Here is the rule book

"A factory/OEM magazine release which

extends only the length of the magazine

release may be used. A magazine release

which provides larger surface area (paddles,

buttons) may only be used if it is an OEM

part available on an approved model of

gun."

I'm just not sure how to interpret that rule as to if your change is permitted or not, but I would switch it back just to be safe if you shoot production.

Edited by Matt G

Steve,

Your good to go in Lim or L10 with just about anything except a compensator and/or optics.

Mag release, mags, barrels, sights, etc.. all good in Lim and L10..

In production your limited to esentially a stock gun, even somewhat less then IDPA (ie. no magwells) except

for the few specifically approved listed modifications, notch and post sights, griptape, trigger, internal reliability work.

Gun appears almost totally stock on the outside but your pretty free with holsters and mag pouches ..

Are you coming up to LTD for some practice you IDPA god ?? ;)

Bill - Dawson FO front, Heinie rear, non-extended mag release (G17 part), orange baseplates on mags. Will probably also use a LWD aftermarket barrel.

All of that is Production legal.

- Dawson FO front :)

- Heinie rear :)

- non-extended mag release (G17 part) :)

- orange baseplates on mags :)

- LWD aftermarket barrel - as long as it matches the factory profile (standard length, no 9mm barrel in a 40, etc.) :)

Steve, from what you posted, the only thing you might worry about is if you run the Vanek trigger version that has the pin relocated in the actual trigger. This shows up as an external mod and is not allowed in USPSA Production.

Beyond that, no external mods. No grip tape anywhere but the actual grip (not the trigger guard or slide).

You can swap Glock factory parts from other Production legal factory guns. So, the mag release is legal.

You can change the recoil spring and rod. You can do internal action work.

If you are shooting minor, go Production. If you are shooting Major, then you may want L-10 or Limited. Limited and L-10 allow more mods...like magwells, and race holsters.

For the 10 round divisions, I run 5 mags on the belt, in addition to my load mag. I usually don't need that many (hardly ever). If you want to shoot Limited, then grab one or two of the 140mm mag extensions (you will only need one or two). These will add +4/5 to the full capacity mags..

Thanks Flex. I'm gonna shoot L10 Major for giggles. I'm sure I'll get my ass handed to me on a plate, but it'll be fun anyhow.

Peter - If the sun came up at the Kaysville range before noon, I might shoot a match or two there in the winter. You guys are friggin' nuts! Do you want to come down to the Dixie Open in March ? We've got room in the car & hotel for one more. I invited John Lowe but I doubt he'll come. Leave March 12, return 14th. http://www.southernutahpistol.com/

Edited by Steve Koski