Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

trying out an automated case pro.

jmorris

I just saw one of those a little while ago, for the first time. not automated, but it looked like it would be easy to do. So thanks for the video, that's awesome. My friends is setup so that he just rotates his Dillon case feeder 180 degrees from his press and it feeds the CP. I'd never even heard of them before that.

Not really a lot of development data so to speak. I had an old gear reduced motor sitting under the bench (around 25-35 rpm) I machined and broached a small section of 1” bar stock so I had a smooth surface that I could clamp the arm to. Using the double split set collars to act as a clutch should something go wrong. The throw of the arm is 3.375” making for a 6.75 stroke. I lifted the motor (3” in this case) so it was about centered on the case pro slide and used another 5/8” set collar to clamp on the case pro bearing. I used a 21.75” section of 1” box tube to mount the case feeder on.

I’ll post some more photos once I get a chance to pretty it up a bit.

casepro-1.jpg

Edited by jmorris

• 3 weeks later...

I bolted my new case pro to the fixture a little while ago and ran into a snag. For some reason the case, after sizing, wouldn't fall off and wanted to ride back up the die (don't know why the old one doesn't have this problem. The fix was simple enough, I just added a section of double sided foam tape to push the case out a little. After adding the tape it took the machine about two and a half hours to size 4000 cases. Standard case pro on left and the tape on the right (red arrow).

DSC02019.jpg

Edited by jmorris

• 4 years later...

Not really a lot of development data so to speak. I had an old gear reduced motor sitting under the bench (around 25-35 rpm) I machined and broached a small section of 1” bar stock so I had a smooth surface that I could clamp the arm to. Using the double split set collars to act as a clutch should something go wrong. The throw of the arm is 3.375” making for a 6.75 stroke. I lifted the motor (3” in this case) so it was about centered on the case pro slide and used another 5/8” set collar to clamp on the case pro bearing. I used a 21.75” section of 1” box tube to mount the case feeder on.

I’ll post some more photos once I get a chance to pretty it up a bit.

casepro-1.jpg

Another great machine!

• 3 weeks later...

The centerline of the armature doesn't have any effect in the application of the gear motor I had as it is at a different height than the output shaft.

The only heim joint in operation is constantly changing height as the arm on the output shaft rotates. The joint you are likely talking about is just a set collar locked onto the roller bearing mounted to the slide of the case pro. The heim/rod end is the articulating joint off of the lever arm.

But, yeah if I had a 5 inch long section of 4.825" box tube or so, I would have used it but like most of the stuff I cobble together I use what is sitting around collecting dust.

Good observation, in any case..

Kind of funny though that PW did the same thing when they copied it.

http://www.reloaders.com/index.php?main_page=popup_image&pID=91&zenid=kqpdv1i6ioav7fp8pfq66qrj92

Edited by jmorris

• 2 years later...
On 2/3/2017 at 3:55 PM, randy01 said:

Sorry to resurrect an old thread. But what torque would I need to automate a case pro. Want to start and collect parts by the time my case pro gets here.

Case pro 100  sells a motorized version.  My buddy just received one last week.  I looked on the motor plate and it shows  Motor output  90 in/lbs   It seems to be running with no problems at all and no heat issues it also has the gear reduction mounted to the front of the motor, hope that helps. 

Edited by tmz