Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rear Sight Screw

SMSI

The single screw for the facrtory rear sight on my M&P Pro fell out (during a match of course). The sight is very loose w/o the screw. What screw is this and where can i get a replacement or 2?

Welcome to the growing, "been there done that"club, regarding the M&P Pro. Mine fell out as well. I sent mine to S&W for other problems and they put a new sight on and sent me two extra screws and a wrench. You might call them and see if they will send you one or go to ACE Hardware and get a stainless set screw for a quarter.

do you know the screw length and width and allen wrench size? don't wnant to handle the pistol in the hardware store.

No, but if it is like mine the sight should slide right off. Just watch that the plunger doesn't fall out. Take the sight to the store instead of the gun.

I've changed a couple or three M&P rear sights, and haven't found one quite that loose, but none have been on Pros. I know that when I got a spare from S&W, it had a little red spot of thread locker on it. I think the shipping receipt even called it a replacement rear sight screw with red patch or something similar.

Ace hardware

6-32 size set screw

1/16 hex wrench

The 6-32 does not fit my factory sight, nor dos the next size down at Ace - 440 i think. Is this some odd type screw?

6-40, not a 6-32. I think it's 3/16" long, if you can't find one we have them in stock.

Ace hardware

6-32 size set screw

1/16 hex wrench

The 6-32 does not fit my factory sight, nor dos the next size down at Ace - 440 i think. Is this some odd type screw?

6-40, not a 6-32. I think it's 3/16" long, if you can't find one we have them in stock.

Yep, forgot that I replace my factory sights with Warren's. Sorry bout that... They are different sizes.

Ace hardware

6-32 size set screw

1/16 hex wrench

I was wrong, it's a 5-40 and not a 6-40, but it is 3/16" long and we do have them.

The sight is probably a loose fit because you need to remove it in order to remove the firing-pin block/plunger. I fit the Dawson rear on my 9L so that light taps from a rubber mallet will drive it in/out without a punch for this reason. Easier to disassemble - same reason I've got a roll pin installed in the extractor instead of the factory one.