Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Jailbreak itouch or iphone

Anyone here tried the jailbreak patch to your itouch or iphone?

Yes.. yes... several of us have.

Good stuff available after you do it. However, you can't update the software as frequently for the device once you do it, as once you jailbreak it, and you then "update" the device through software update, the device installs the Apple software again over the jailbreak software.. and you just lost everything you just installed via the Cydia app.

PM me if we want me to go into full blown "pocket protector geek speek".

I was just wondering if there were any real advantages to it. I have an iTouch, and my soul purpose for getting it was to use it for a rifle mounted ballistics calculator. The ballistic program I have for it is the absolute best I have ever used exceedingly all others by leaps and bounds. I guess for someone with lots of apps or likes to play games on the iTouch it might be more useful. Is there any gain for a simple user?

I was just wondering if there were any real advantages to it. ...

Why would anyone want to? What is Cydia? To me, the term "jailbreak" implies you're doing something with your iPhone you maybe should not be doing, and maybe could void warranties or leave you unsupported? I don't know; I've only had mine 3 days, and the worst thing's been picking a case for it. My iPod touch contains all my music plus those videos I want to carry around. (We'll be using both Thursday when we fly to Vegas!)

If you are a simple user, and you are happy with the three letter cell company that comes with the phone, then keep it stock.

In this case this is a touch and if all you want it to run the ballistic software, then no, jailbreaking it does not have any advantages for you.

However, if you live in or travel to parts of the US that the three letter cell phone company does not work well....jailbreak and unlocking might be worth it to you.

What I am trying to say is... iphone + cell company that sounds like "Chernobyl" gets you online and using cell service for about half of "three letter cell phone company". Works fine.

Cydia is a app installer that lets you install apps on the phone that the apple store does not deem as acceptable. There are a variety of reasons why they not certify software, however, Cydia is the way to get those apps.

Some are purely cosmetic, how things look and feel on the phone / itouch. Others are downright awesome, a host of utilities that can make it sing and do a lot more than it was intended to do.

As far as the warranty, yes, if you send it to them with the jailbroke/unlocked.. then they will not honor it. However, that is what a full wipe is for.

Everything and more you could want to know about this...

http://blog.iphone-dev.org/

and

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jailbreak_%28iPhone_OS%29

If you are a simple user, and you are happy with the three letter cell company that comes with the phone, then keep it stock.

Okay, color me simple.... I've been more willing to learn some of the extra features of the iPhone than of anything else I had before. Previous was a Motorola Razr; I had it for 3 or 4 years and the physical package was great - don't need a case, don't need a screen protector, just toss it in your pocket and go. But texting off a 10-key pad is awful, which is why I never did it.

I'm okay enough with AT&T (there, I said it!), though in my case around my neighborhood, it doesn't matter WHO you have for your carrier; you're still only going to get 1 or 2 bars at best.

Apple can't possibly stay exclusively in bed with AT&T forever; that's got to give sometime!

yes you can use it on verizon.(or soon will If your area isnt using sim card in some of the new verizon phones you may have trouble doing so.) or Tmobile or any other that uses sim cards. so srpint is really the only one you cant. we have a local service called Iwireless.. service is great here in town just dont go more than 20 miles out but you get all the almost 3g data(they claim 3g but its not even close) and calls and txting you want for 50$ a month or so. ppl use jailbroken Iphones on there all the time. Between that and getting all your apps for free I can see Why ppl do it..

My phone is hacked but no Iphone here...HTC for me!!! go DrOiD!!!!!! I am running dual boot windows and driod right now!!!

Edited by chefcs5

yes you can use it on verizon.(or soon will If your area isnt using sim card in some of the new verizon phones you may have trouble doing so.) or Tmobile or any other that uses sim cards. so srpint is really the only one you cant. we have a local service called Iwireless.. service is great here in town just dont go more than 20 miles out but you get all the almost 3g data(they claim 3g but its not even close) and calls and txting you want for 50$ a month or so. ppl use jailbroken Iphones on there all the time. Between that and getting all your apps for free I can see Why ppl do it..

My phone is hacked but no Iphone here...HTC for me!!! go DrOiD!!!!!! I am running dual boot windows and driod right now!!!

let's get something clear... You can not use the the 3G or the 3GS iphone on any other carrier than AT&T. The 3G thats included in those phones is specific to the frequencies that are allocated to AT&T... Tmobile, Verizon, Sprint, etc, all use different 3G frequencies. With that said, the old 2G Iphone would work on Tmobile once jailbroken and hacked, but who wants to use only EDGE speeds. It has nothing to do with sim cards.

Been there, done that, and now have an Android phone as well... and waiting for the new Nexus One - any day now...

Alan

Edited by Alan Adamson

I would love to be able to use the iPhone but if you don't have Alltel or Verizon you don't have much where I live. If the Blackberry would run the ballistics software the iTouch does I'd be happy with it too.

I would love to be able to use the iPhone but if you don't have Alltel or Verizon you don't have much where I live. If the Blackberry would run the ballistics software the iTouch does I'd be happy with it too.

Bobby,

Just curious which software you went with, there are like 3 or 4 of them for the iphone/touch?

Alan

You can unlock an iPhone and use it on T-Mobile. However, you will only get 2G (EDGE) speeds, and no surfing while you talk.

However, as to the original question...

I did Jailbreak my 3G. I loved it because there are a couple of apps that are only available after jailbreaking.

One (winterboard) allows complete customization of the whole user interface, including sounds, graphics, icons, and text. It is really powerful. I made a USPSA theme for my phone that had a slideshow of women of IPSC.

Another (SBSettigns) provides a very fast way of toggling your system settings from any screen (wifi on/off, autolock on/off, brightness, bluetooth on/off).

Oh, and if you're going to upgrade to a new iPhone (from 3G to 3Gs), jailbreak and unlock it to increase it's resale value to offset the cost of the upgrade.

let's get something clear... You can not use the the 3G or the 3GS iphone on any other carrier than AT&T. The 3G thats included in those phones is specific to the frequencies that are allocated to AT&T... Tmobile, Verizon, Sprint, etc, all use different 3G frequencies. With that said, the old 2G Iphone would work on Tmobile once jailbroken and hacked, but who wants to use only EDGE speeds. It has nothing to do with sim cards.

Been there, done that, and now have an Android phone as well... and waiting for the new Nexus One - any day now...

Alan

One sec here..

That isn't true. YOU CAN use your 3G or 3GS phone on another carrier other that AT&T. I have THREE of them to prove it. Yes, if you are on Tmobile, you do not have 3G speeds, just the 2G network. But most of my surfing and web is done via wifi, and a voice call does not know the difference if it is on a 3G or 2G network.

• 1 year later...

Wanted to revive this conversation...

I also have an unlocked iPhone 3G working on T-Mobile...its awesome!

I do all my surfing on wi-fi...no 3G out here in the boonies. :(

I've only had it less than a month so still learning how to make stuff work.

I got facebook working but cannot get my email to work.

Help? :surprise:

I rooted my Verizon Galaxy S phone (Fascinate), loaded custom ROM's and kernels on it, removed the Verizon bloat and it is an awesome phone. Same as jailbreaking the iPhone, which I will do to my wife and daughters phones when they get them in March.

Easy to return them to stock.