Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock 30

Mikej

Just wondering if any of you folks shoot GSSF? I do not have a Glock to shoot major-sub and am thinking of getting a 30 and using it in that category and sub-compact. I have a 26 that I am shooting sub-compact with, but thought maybe using one gun for two categories would help simplify things a bit. I currently shoot a 17 in amature, 34 in competition, 26 in sub-compact and have an unlimited gun to shoot in that category. Thanks for any opinions.

Mike

I have thought of that, but I will have to add another caliber if I want to shoot Major-sub. My thought was, since I only shoot a couple of categories at a time, I could use the one gun (30) to shoot Major-sub and subcompact, put it away and then shoot the remaining categories with the 9 mm guns. Maybe if I kept them seperated that way the confusion would be less.

Duane, it'd be real hard to shoot a 9mm in MSub since there isn't a legal 9mm for MSub, other than that your logic is sound on not adding another caliber to the mix.

i shoot a G30 in MSub and Sub and have been fairly sucessful doing so. I use G30 mags for MSub and G21 mags for Sub, helps me know how many rounds are in the mags so I don't mix them up and it takes a little pressure off the slide for my wimpy loads to cycle. i used a G22 for years and in August switched to a G17 for Comp and Master Stock and have been more accurate and quicker. Also switched a G17 for UL in June of this year and not done too bad with it either. i'm sure if you look around here you'll find some shooters much better versed then me in GSSF competition.

+1 to the post that stated you cant run 9mm in majorsub class, as i quote from the 2009 GSSF reference guide, majorsub was specifically developedforthe Glock 36, which holds a maximum of 7 rounds, other calibers can be used, G29/30 butthey will be downloaded to hold no more than 7 rounds per string

come on out, we need more people shootin majorsub, get sownright interesting shooting a platerack w/ six plates knowing you got only 7 shots in the gun hehehe

the G36 seems to not have the success in MSub as the G30, most shooters report it isn't as accurate or as reliable as the G30. i can't say one way or the other, i sold my G36 without ever shooting it. the G36 also wouldn't allow the shooter to use in in Sub class.

as for more shooters in MSub it seems to of caught on with the amatures, 10 shooters and the cash prize gets bumped to a certificate. too bad more masters don't shoot MSub, takes 10 masters too for the cash prize to get bumped to a certificate.

Edited by ede

G30 would be an excellent choice. I think it's the most accurate Glock I own. Personally, I have simplified my GSSF shooting lineup. I use a G17 for Am Civ and Competition, and the G30 for sub compact and major sub. It's very controlable with handloads. The ONLY problem I've had with it to remember to only put one round per target during major sub. Not the gun's fault, entirely me. I've flubbed that one more than once.

The other choice would be a 30SF. I've got one, but haven't spent enough time with to decide which I like best.

Edited by glockwerkes

Interesting to see this topic since I was about to ask opinions on recent production G30 SF and G36. Some years ago the good folks here were very helpful in my moving from 1911`s to G 17/19`s.

3" barrel 1911`s were always problems no matter who made them or when ( and I have a 1"+ stack of " custom gunsmiths " bills and Fed Ex shipping receipts to prove it ), but I like the idea and thought if anyone could make em work Glock would, but some of the "chatter" on other sites would indicate widespread ongoing issues with the newer 30 SF & 36`s.

I don`t compete and so my first hand info is very limited and since this place still seems home to real shooters and mature people your experiences and opinions on the 2 Glocks are welcome.

TIA

RL

I always had good luck with the Glock 30, though admittedly it's been years since I've really shot one. What sort of problems are people seeing with the newer 30 SFs? Are those problems not surfacing with the straight 30s? And if so, why not?

OTOH I've never liked the Glock 36. It's my least favorite Glock. The grip doesn't fit my hand at all - which is a pretty bad thing because I find the recoil on a .45 ACP that small and light pretty darn vicious. I literally can't fire that gun without having my hands break apart.

i bought a G30SF to replace my G30 GSSF gun but had problems keeping it running on my light GSSF loads. ended up selling the SF and keeping my G30. Turns out lot of people had RTB problems with the G30SF. the SF uses a different trigger bar from what i understand and that causes or contributes to the RTB issue. most of the more successful GSSF shooters i know use the G30 for MSub and most use the G26 for Sub.

Edited by ede

The one and only catagory I now shoot is major sub, since i got a G29 in 10mm, I've dound that little gun to be accurate as hell, now if we can get a few more folks to come play in the catagory out west, it would be great(seems here in northern Cali, we can only manage 9 or less)

since I was having so much fun with the G29, thought I would get a G30, and in the limited number of times I've shot it, nothing but probs, granted with my handloads, because it will shoot factory ok, but factory prices in Cali??? no way....I still like it and am going to geep on grinding to find a load it likes

handloads are allowed, but if you have a gun malfunction and it is deemed that you are using handloads a reshootfor that string of fire on that stage will not be granted

other than the rules saying that, the instructions given at the RO briefs is everyone gets a reshoot for any reason, other than poor performance. i've shot a few GSSF matches and never seen anyone denied a reshoot for reloads and even if they were it'd be something the match director could fix real quick. i've seen a lot of ROs not offer reshoots and could never understand why when that is't the instructions they're given.

I always had good luck with the Glock 30, though admittedly it's been years since I've really shot one. What sort of problems are people seeing with the newer 30 SFs? Are those problems not surfacing with the straight 30s? And if so, why not?

OTOH I've never liked the Glock 36. It's my least favorite Glock. The grip doesn't fit my hand at all - which is a pretty bad thing because I find the recoil on a .45 ACP that small and light pretty darn vicious. I literally can't fire that gun without having my hands break apart.

The large-frame Glocks don't work for me. Had two and my small hands just couldn't adapt. :angry:

I bought a G36 (slightly used) and shot it in a winter IPSC league here without any problems. I've also used it in MajorSub at the local GSSF match for a few years, and took home a pistol the first year :rolleyes: [OK, most of the good shooters were at another match at the same time, and the 10 or so entries above me in the results were "Masters" and not eligible for a pistol. That hasn't happened since then. :( ]

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE I found a good deal on a G30 SF and bought it. I will shoot it the end of this week and let you folks know how it goes. It will be factory ammo, so I am hoping for no problems. On another topic, I am getting going with re-loading and wondered what loads you folks use for your GSSF 45's. I have a lot of 230 gr and am thinking of using Clays. Thanks