Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

No Shoot Technique

Jasonub

I'm glad that finally someone mentioned HF! I like philosophical/subjective pondering, and TL is right on. But if you shoot a match, always (!) estimate the HF with which you can shoot a stage. This tells you how much extra time you have to shoot extra available points. In IPSC minor and IDPA, it's usually (!, not always) a no brainer: Go for the extra points in the A zone no matter how many no shoots are around it, just aim & squeeze really carefully. It really helps to know your abilities... In IPSC major, it's often a toss-up, and when you factor in the lack of risk, going for the C's is on many occasions the better way...

--Detlef

Everything is tempered by the circumstances.

That's deep.

<_<

Depending on the combination of target distance, no-shoot set up, and how I'm feelin' at the moment, where I aim goes through three filters:

At the A box

At the A/C line

Center of available target

I never think about what anyone else is doing.

be

As usual, Benos boils it down to the component parts in simple phrases. You nailed it Ghost dog.

He understands just how limited our thinking is/can be, cause he's been there, done that, B4. Man, I've been doing this since 1978 and when he says something line the above quote, I feel like such a newbie...

[scoring Ignorance Mode ON]

What's the equation one uses to evaluate points versus time for a stage. I remember one issue of Front Sight a while back where Adam Popplewell won an area championship gaming a stage by just realizing that shooting one particular disappearing target wasn't worth the time it took, so he just skipped it, took the penalties and came out on top.

Adam? You still around? Care to elucidate?

[scoring Ignorance Mode ON]

What's the equation one uses to evaluate points versus time for a stage.

Points divided by time = HF. You knew that.

Rewritten, HF = Points per Second.

So, make an educated guess at the time for the stage, pick 100% of the points for the stage, divide it out and there's your estimated points each second is worth.

For example, on a 10 HF stage, if you shoot a second faster than the next guy, but he scores 10 more points, you're tied. On a 5 HF stage, he's 5 points ahead. On a 20 HF stage, he's 10 points behind.

So, on the skipping-a-target example, it'll cost you 1 FTE, 2 Misses's and 10 points for the A's you didn't get, -40 points. Save 5 seconds blowing off a target on a 10 HF stage and you come out ahead since those 5 seconds are "worth" 50 points.

It's much easier to get ahead with disappearing targets.. Then you only have to eat the non-hits instead of the M's and FTEs.

I shoot production which means minor. it all has a great tendancy to make me want to shoot A's However a few things dictate what i aim for.

My direction of swing (if i overswing will i cap the noshoot) the distance and proximity.. and how much A is out there. if it's in the center of the A zone i shoot at the A/C perf.

I do let what others do dictate how i shoot. example.

while shooting the buckeye blast, we had a stage with a lot of hard cover. One of my competitors (ipsc G34) got a mike on hard cover.. maybe 2. T.i.Stallion shot plenty of D's and C's on that stage. so i figured slow down the trigger control get alpha's for points. Which i did. not sure if i won that stage or not. but the points sure didn't hurt my ego anyway.

also if i see a lot of shooters with equal or greater ability shoot a no shoot i am more aware not to do the same. (a back up on my part, judgment call on my part to wether it's a tough shot or not)