Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Browser Pop-up Killer

D.Hayden

If you use IE 5.5 or higher version (sorry Mac/Unix people - I think MS stopped both those at 5.0) there's a very good Pop-up blocker available from Google.

http://toolbar.google.com

For sites that you want the pop-ups (like this one, for PM messages, etc.) you can allow them on a site by site basis.

There's some tracking things you might want to turn off. Read the text

Sometimes you'll see 'pop-ups' are really moving <Div> tags, can't catch those, but it'll get the vast majority of real pop-ups.

It makes really annoying sites, quite tolerable

If you are Mac and running OS X (version 10.2 or later), Safari the default Apple browser has built-in pop-up blocking that only blocks un-chosen (not clicked by you) pop-ups, and you can one touch toggle it on/off. Netscape 7.1 which runs on Mac OSX, Linux & Windows 98 through XP, has built-in pop-up blocking with controls on how the blocking works and will also stop animated ads from constantly animating on you in a separate preference setting.

You don't have to use IE if you don't want to. Bill Gates bug laden software doesn't own the entire world yet. You can actually choose another path for at least a few of your apps. Eudora is a great Windows E-mail client and is not as virus prone (read vulnerable) as Outlook is. Netscape's Messenger is a good e-mail client too.

http://channels.netscape.com/ns/browsers/sysreq.jsp

http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/apple/safari.html

Regards,

"turn off scripting"? What would the analog be in IE?

"never accept cookies"? That used to work 3-4 y ago, but with this wealth

of cookies around, I can't surf "any"thing any more w/o enabling cookies.

Even my security-paranoid work has given up and now tunrns on "accept

all cookies"...

But maybe teh Mac handles all this more gracefully.....?

--Detlef

I second the vote for the Google toolbar. If you haven't used it you are missing out. Not only does it offer the normal Google search capabilities, it also allows searching within a site, image searches, merchandise searches and now it has built in pop up blocking. I hate using systems that don't have it installed.

-ld

Most of the mods Erik's talking about are available under

<Internet Options><Security><Custom Level>

After 5.0, I think they just started grouping them to make it easier for admins - generally the levels are pretty good - like someone mentioned email is worse - some people will open anything... once

Like Erik says, at the very least ALWAYS prompt, but if you don't need them, disable ActiveX - we use them for inhouse - they're full programs, we can do anything we want to the machine.... Signed Java applets have the same issues, but at least they're signed

Dave, jhgtyre,

Can you hide the tool bar and still have it block pop ups?

Ed

Nope. I just tried it and if the bar is hidden the pop ups pop up. It really doesn't take up much room if you spend a few minutes tinkering with IE to get the toolbars arrainged in a more efficient layout.

-ld