Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Revolver In Production

jjustice

So the question stands...when do we find out about revolver in Production and the Springfield XD? Why would I join when I don't know if I'm even allowed to compete? :-) Or if no one is willing to summarize the article; any idea when they update the link on the website?

I'm going to compete at my next match with an Open gun in Production, and when called on it just say; "Prove it!" What you don't have a copy of the latest Front Sight? No rules available! Darn too bad for you...sometimes it reminds me of playing cards with a kid...I make the rules up as I go! Ohhhh sorry you brought the wrong gun. :-) Maybe they can just not update the rules on the site and really limit the competition. I can see the article in Front Sight now (actually I can't) "Only Front Sight subscribers win in all IPSC competitions year long" :-) It's ok, I won't win anyway, even with an Open gun! :-)

Mr. Davis, If you have not received this issue of Front Sight magazine I would suspect the postal service may be your hold up. If you did not receive the last issue either, you should contact USPSA and find out where your magazine went.

If you have specific questions you can contact your Area Director, or I will be more than happy to answer any specific question you have about production guns. Feel free to e-mail me.

Mr. Stevens,

Thank you so much for your offer and I may soon take you up on it with a direct e-mail. Having just moved to Virginia I have not had any contact with my "Area Director" whomever that might be. I suppose my not receiving the Front Sight is mostly to do with the fact that I am not a subscriber and not a member of USPSA. I am the poor down trodden shmuck who is simply trying to enjoy this sport and see if the USPSA or IPSC is of any real value. Now that I have learned that the rules are published in a magazine I may have to reconsider joining. :-) Although someone once mentioned that subscribing to Front Sight and being a USPSA member had competition benefits, I had no idea it included knowing the rules ahead of everyone else. In most competitive environments that would be considered "un-sportsmanlike". But thats ok. I'll wait and hope they are published publically sometime in the future, and if not I can always compete in IDPA instead. Specifically I have 3 questions I think at this point that I'm unclear on. One is "Where does the ammo go if I compete in Production with a revolver?" the second would be "What revolver holsters are really considered "racing?"" and the third would be "Can I just compete with a Springfield XD?" I guess the over riding real question is "When are the rules published on the web site so that I can actually study them, buy the right equipment and compete on a level playing ground?" What is the typical lag time from a rule being "published" in Front Sight and it actually being in the rule book? This probably seems so trivial, but I have found that IPSC has a few rules that have to be followed or you end up in a Division with no other competitors (Revolver), one you don't know if you can compete in (Production) or one you can't afford (Open). Looks like I'll have to stick with L-10 this year. ;-)

Mr. Davis, Your primary problem with the information loop is that you are not a USPSA member and are therefore cut out of the loop. The information is posted on the "members" side of the USPSA webpage as soon as it is approved by the Board of Directors, per the by-laws and ready. Much of what you request has already been published for our members, of which we would like you to be one.

The rule book is currently under review and modifications are being made on particular sections of the book. We are voting on rule modifications almost every day in an effort to get this finished. It takes time to propose a rule modification and post it, then have everyone try to pick it apart to make the best possible rule we can. I try to approach each rule both from a range management position, but also as a competitor. I want any rule to be fair to all and address a specific issue. Then a final product has to be posted again and voted on. We are not releasing modified rules individually, they will all be released at once after final approval. This should be very shortly.

If you are interested in USPSA and our shooting sport your decision to join should not be made based upon competitive advantage. It should be made on do you want to belong to an organization that has many of the greatest shooters in the world as members. Where we welcome you to not only shoot with us, but to be part of the team. Where we allow everyone to voice their opinion, offer input, and be part of the process. As members you have elected representatives, who you elect, that are available to you almost anytime for questions or comments.

To answer your specific questions, the XD is now and will be legal. If you shoot revolver your holster or spare ammo can not be farther forward than the forward point of the hip bone. If you pull your holster back a bit, you can carry two speed loaders in front of the holster. If you use something like a Kydex holster you should be just fine.

Anything else I can help you out on don't hesitate to contact me. Remember it is better to light one candle than to stand and curse the darkness. Try to make positive steps, it is easy to be negative.

As I understand it, Front Sight magazine serves as the "newsletter" for the organization. Any rule changes must be "pre-announced" in the newsletter before they can go into effect (which gives members...competitors and equipment makers...some lead time).

The rules don't change very often (the current rule book has been in effect since 4-16-2001). And, the rules aren't simply thrown into the magazine, and changed on a whim.

Mr. Stevens,

Thanx so much for the informative and patient reply. And I like your quote very much too. I can tell you that I am very relieved to sense that the Revolver and the XD will be allowed in Production. And I will wait until the decisions are final. So that you can understand some of my reasoning, based on your comment I will now go out and purchase the equipment I need to use the XD in Production and begin practicing with it some so I don't come to a match with the wrong gun or equipment. And it's ok if it isn't approved in the long run. I purchased the gun a long time ago with the hope of trying the Division. Competively with my XD or not so competively with my 6 shot revolver. If I have the opportunity to become a part of this sport I will gladly consider joining the organization at some point in the future. It will likely be due to your response to my question above being handled so well. The two things I have found about this organization are the ability to make complex issues succinct through rules and the character of the people. And as far as the candle is concerned, I apologize if I seemed negative. Next time I'll try and light a candle on my own...from my perspective it felt like you had walked into the room with a lantern.

Mr. Davis, you have made my day :D When I hear that my responses have had a positive effect, I am truly gratified.

If you need anything else, feel free to contact me anytime at garystevens@alltel.net

Hope to see you on the range somewhere.

Dear Mr. Stevens,

As a USPSA member in good standing, I must object to the proposed new 8.5" barrel length limitation on Revolvers in USPSA Production Division. I recently acquired this revolver and I'd like to use it in USPSA Production Division but, alas, I cannot.

Yes, I realise there's no Major scoring in USPSA Production Division, but that's beside the point. I like Pepper Poppers to fall down convincingly, and I think that my new revolver might be just the thing, don't you? Please reconsider making the maximum revolver length 12".

You see, my wife says she always wished I "Had a Big-Gun, and knew how to use it" (well, that's how it sounded to me), and I'm just trying to keep the poor girl happy.

Your constituent,

Hugh Jarse

Area 5 1/2

I don't remember seeing it. Based on my own questions of John Amidon, I feel sure it would be considered as an external modification. It did not come from the factory, and is not one of the permited modifications. I am not even allowed to hardchrome the frame of my pistol to inhibit rusting, as it came in blue and has to remain blue :(