Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How Or Why Did You Pick?

Jay Boggs

I started in Production, thought I really wanted to shoot open, had a friend of a friend who was selling his Limited gun at a firesale price, bought that, really liked it, thought I was going to quit for a while, did, stupidly sold the gun to Loves2Shoot (who I hope is enjoying it), and now am going to stupidly buy another Limited gun with a lighter top end in the hope that it cycles faster than my old Limited because I forgot how much I hate reloading my Glock (it's not getting the mag IN - it's getting the mag OUT that kills me on time) plus the ergonomics of the 2011 basically are unbeatable, there really is nothing better - at least for me - plus most of the best local shooters are usually shooting Lim10 -> Open so you have real competition to pace yourself against.

[/Faulkner Mode]

Mpolans,

I'm starting to get pretty interested in the ISSF international/olympic type shooting ............ I also think the proliferation of hi-caps are making IPSC boring

<Foghorn Leghorn><Yosemite Sam>You need, I say, you need to get more often, son.</YS></FL>

You wanna change to ISSF shooting because (cough, splutter) IPSC shooting is getting boring ???? Man, oh, man - are you in for a see-prise. Make sure you take a thermos full of coffee and lots of cigarettes (if you smoke), to your first ISSF match. Some "No-Doze" would help too.

Damn. I don't mind losing the odd trooper here 'n' there to IDPA, but to ISSF??

Oy vey.

• 2 weeks later...
Mpolans,
I'm starting to get pretty interested in the ISSF international/olympic type shooting ............ I also think the proliferation of hi-caps are making IPSC boring

<Foghorn Leghorn><Yosemite Sam>You need, I say, you need to get more often, son.</YS></FL>

You wanna change to ISSF shooting because (cough, splutter) IPSC shooting is getting boring ???? Man, oh, man - are you in for a see-prise. Make sure you take a thermos full of coffee and lots of cigarettes (if you smoke), to your first ISSF match. Some "No-Doze" would help too.

Damn. I don't mind losing the odd trooper here 'n' there to IDPA, but to ISSF??

Oy vey.

I guess the atmosphere at ISSF matches is boring...I swear I could hear a pin drop at a couple matches.

However, the actual shooting, the precision required, is interesting me more than just mindless spray'n'pray that seems to dominate most IPSC matches I've seen in the last few years.

I wouldn't say I'm "lost" to ISSF. I still plan on shooting IPSC when I can (which isn't that often right now), but I don't think I'm going to dedicate nearly the same amount of time that I did in the past. Maybe I'll feel more "into it" if I switch to limited or L10.

why or how did you come to the division you are shooting in? or are some of you just nuts like me and bounce around?

I'm shooting Open 'cause Frank Garcia said I'd be good at it - or something like that.

I started with IDPA and a Beretta 92FS. Graduated to an E-II (actually bought in preparation for USPSA Prod division - before it was formally announced). Got frustrated with Production in USPSA since almost nobody locally shoots it. Got more frustrated since I can't even compare my scores in Production to the other divisions since I am automatically minor. That frustration caused me to buy a Limited pistol which was OK for a while until I realized that while the pistol was nearly 100% reliable I was hindered by ergonomic issues. It was not an S_I.

I took a class at Frank's place in FL and was enlightened to the strong and weak points in my shooting. My strengths were saying 'open..come on...buy one...open...open.' My weaknesses were saying 'open..come on...buy one...open...open.' I tried one of Frank's Xtreme pistols during the class and this convinced me that the modular pistol was the way to go. While his Xtreme limited pistol worked beautifully for me (and if I hadn't decided on open I might own one now - I definitely recommend it highly), I still felt at that time that I would be wasting my shooting years with anything BUT an Open Blaster.

As soon as I got back from that class I started planning my open gun. Finally got all the parts together and built it to fit ME and MY style of shooting. I don't like (actually don't WANT) to shoot anything else now. I have never used a pistol someone else built that didn't have a handful of changes just to make it workable in my hands - or make it work at ALL.

Open just seems a lot 'freer' when I am shooting it. I can think more about SHOOTING and less about shooting (note the caps) if that makes sense. I'm starting to feel the open blaster Zen. I don't have to worry about idiotic gun malfunctions anymore. I don't have to manhandle the pistol to control and steer it along the course. I just tell it where I want it to go, where I want the holes to appear, and it happens. Some people who have never tried an open gun don't like it the first time they try one since it is SO different. I shot less than a mag through another good local shooter's open blaster at some plates before I made my decision.

So there it is. I prefer open now by a margin of about 99-1 primarily because it just 'works' for me. Production is second place since there is a lot to be said about finishing very high (or winning!) against open and limited shooters with a 9mm DA/SA and 10 round mags.

I picked open for two main reasons:

1. Optics - I like red dots much much more than black and white :P

2. The guns are pushing the envelope wherever it can be pushed!

I like the way the "Buck Rogers" guns look too. Anyway, to me, IPSC is an interesting game and I want the equipment ideally designed for playing the game.

Kevin

I started in Production with what I had, a Glock 20. I then figured out that the real competition was in Limited, so I transformed the Glock into a Limited gun.

I'm prefer Limited because the competition is fierce, and it takes more skill than Open. :D