Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How's This For A "he Man" M-14?

Tokarev

I have an unmodified Chinese M-14 that I bought awhile ago. I had intended to make it into a DCM gun but don't shoot that stuff much anymore. My plan now is to make it into a rifle for 3-gun. Any thoughts on what would make a cool .308?

Thanks.

I'd be careful. A lot fo those Chinese M-14 clones were out of spec. some had soft receivers, others poor quality bolts, barrels, etc.

As I recall there is someone who was rebuilding them, and heat treating what could be treated, to bring them up to snuff. I don't recall who, but a few queries to some NRA High Power-type folks could uncover the info.

We had our second stand alone He-man 3-gun match last week. Of the five M-14 style rifles one was the Chinese made Polytech. It ran perfectly for the entire match.

To soup it up for He-man I'd say put on a brake if yours doesn't already have one and a do a trigger job and you'll be good to go.

My dad has a Polytech that was worked over by Fulton Armory a few years ago. He's shot it a bunch and never had any troubles with it. It shoots better groupsd than his "real" Springfield M-1A. Fulton Armory says the Chinese receivers are as good as any ever made. The bolts and hammers are softer than the American parts and should be replaced with GI stuff.

I will contact Springfield Armory and see about getting a Scout barrel and scope mount.

Thanks for the input!

Does He Man class allow an optic/scope? I know the Mystery Mountain match doesn't.

With that said if your going for an open rifle you have to have a JP brake. It doesn't have the right look for an M1A but man does it WORK! It feels like your shooting a .223. People who have shot a uncomped M1A can't believe how soft mine shoots with it.

If your looking for a pistol grip stock go to www.reesesurplus.com, they have BM59 wood pistol grip stocks and folding pistol grip stocks that will fit an M1A for about $210.

No He-man classes allow an optical sight.

I also have Patrick's concerns about Polytech guns, especially in the conditions rapid abuse that 3 gun has. I know several gunsmiths who will not touch one.

My best advise is to consider selling it and getting an AR.

If you don't want to do that. I'd just shoot it as is for a while. On M1As, a comp is all you need. Maybe a pistolgrip stock. And make sure the sight tracks consistently.

It's actually got a decent trigger. I guess I'll just try and shoot it until it breaks!

On another note, I lived in Anchorage several years ago and got into DCM/ODCMP stuff while I was there. Being young and broke, a Norinco M14 was all I could afford. I used it for service rifle competition. Man! You should have seen the turned up noses I got from the guys with the $2,000 supermatch rifles. It must have been like showing up at the Nationals with a Charles Daly! It's been my experience that most shooting clubs welcome new members regardless of abilities or equipment. But things are a little different in Alaska!

Thanks again for all the advice on my rifle.

• 2 weeks later...

How's this? The gun now has a Springfield 18" barrel and Scout scope mount, a USGI trigger group, a USGI bolt and a Fred's surplus stock. The sling is from CQB Solutions (nice product!) and the scope is a Burris scout LER model. I used ARMS rings so I can dump the scope and switch to iron sights if need be. I replaced the chopped front sight base/flash hider with a Vortex unit. I also replaced the gas system with American parts.

So far I've only got about 100 rounds through the gun. I'm pleased with everything but it is a little heavy.

The front pistol grip is really only there for additional "coolness."

printroom.com

I like everything but the forward grip . Every AR I have handled with one seemed a bit unwieldy , and if it feels heavy thats the first thing I would tear off . I tend to like sleeker less cluttered rifles and shotguns that handle quicker so thats just my 2 cents . Sounds like any of the complaints someone could have had about it have been taken care of as well .