Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

357 Colt models

SauconValley Shooter

Good Afternoon,

I have a couple of S&Ws and a Ruger and I was thinking of getting a 357 Colt or two to round out my collection. What is the difference between the Python, King Cobra, Boa and so on. I believe that the Anaconda is like a N frame S&W as I only see them chambered in 44 magnum and 45 Colt.

Thank you,

Ken

How many Colts have you ever seen at the matches? I don't think I've ever seen one, now that you mention it. The Pythons are overrated. In fact, I don't think I've ever seen one at the range, much less a match. Apparently their owners keep them in their safes and just look at them. A friend has a Trooper and that revolver is certainly nothing to brag about. I believe Colt was using pot metal way before S&W degenerated to MIM. Save your money and get some more good S&Ws. You still don't have a 940 or 3" 625 yet, do you?

Dave Sinko

Guys, he didn't ask "which is better, Smith or Colt"....that's what you're answering.

He never said anything about using them in matches, just something to round out his collection.

For the OP, Colt made a number of .357 Mag guns that fall into what I think are your general category (double action, modern revolvers) so we'll ignore things like the Single Action Army, Anaconda, etc. The most common that you'll run into are the early ".357 Magnum", the early Trooper, the Python and the later Trooper (Mk III and MK V).

Of those, the MK III and MK V had coil spring actions that are completely different from what most folks call the "Python" action, even though Colt was using it a long time before the Python came along (they have flat springs that are very smooth feeling, but break more readily).

The ".357 Magnum" was their premier revolver until the Python came out. The early Trooper was intended (go figure) for police officers, so it wasn't finished as nicely and was priced lower than the .357 Magnum. When the Python came out demand for the .357 Magnum model died off so it was discontinued.

A couple of things about them, in general. No, they won't take the same volume of fire double-action as the typical Smith will before going out of time, but it's not a huge problem for most folks. That's why they wouldn't be an ideal choice for a match gun that will get dry fired and live fired tens of thousands of times per year. Those flat springs do break more readily so it's a slight liability in a gun intended for combat use (not that it was a major problem for the SAA and 1917s when they went to battle). The one very nice advantage is that even when they do get a little bit out of time, the design of the action actually is such that the cylinder is locked into place, perfectly centered before the round goes off, so you still get good accuracy and don't deal with lead/copper shavings even after the gun is worn.

Now, as far as the comments comparing them to Smiths....it's just silly. Take a factory, untouched Python and put it up against any factory, untouched Smith and there simply won't be any comparison. The Colt will have a trigger that feels about a million times better. There aren't as many original .357 Mag and early Troopers out there to get your hands on, but they won't be much different (not quite as smooth because that required hand work that cost money). In most cases any of these models will be extremely accurate....as good or better than anything from any other manufacturer and usually better.

Finish wise you'd have to go back to an original M27 Smith or an early Registered Magnum to come close to the finish on most Pythons and probably nothing short of a Korth will touch the finish on an early Python (although the early Smiths were quite wonderful).

After all of that, the medium level choice is a nice early Trooper or .357 Magnum. The best is a Python...almost any version/age. The Trooper Mk III and V aren't bad guns, but they're not in the same league. Come to think of it, they're built with actions sort of like a Smith :roflol:

I own two Smith Revolvers right now (Smith 640 and 610), two Colt revolvers (early Trooper and a 1917), I've got dibs on three more Smith revolvers that dad already says are "mine", I own four Smith automatics and two Colt automatics (we'll ignore non-Colt 1911's etc). I think I can say I'm definitely not anti-Smith with the way those numbers are! Still, I'd say that for pleasure shooting and accuracy work, there isn't anything with S&W on the side that's as "good" or "nice" as a Python. Every once in a blue moon you'll hear about someone complaining about their Python, but it isn't that often. R,

I think G-Man covered it nicely.

And Yes, I do know a couple of guys who have been shooting ICORE matches regularly with Colt's for a while. One has been shooting his Python for at least 10 years. The other guy has been ICORing his Colt for about 5 years.

Personally I like the Trooper, the Python, and the Detective Special. I have never owned a Python but friends have and used them for years in Metallic Silhouette competition.

I really, really like the Detective Special. It just seems to shoot well for me.

I've owned a ton of Smith K and L frames. They have all been great but most have been sold over the years. I currently own (and will not part with) a couple of early pristine Pythons. They are too cool to compete with but every once in a while I'll take them to the range and fire a few rounds. I then lovingly clean/oil them and put them back in the safe. When you cock a Python the action is like poetry. If you find a good early Python the high price is justified.

Good Morning,

David, Joanna has a 3" 625 and I have a 2.5" 325. I do not have a 940, but I do have a 547. I think that I am doing OK with Smith's. I was being vague when I wrote that I have a "few". I hope to see you at Hellertown some time.

I have always wanted to have a Colt, just to have, not for competition. So it seems that an early Python is the nicest example of a Colt.

Thank you for the information gentlemen!

Ken

When I gave my 6" Stainless Python to a friend to shoot (He normally shoots a S&W 686), after the first 6 shots, he layed it on the table, turned around with this huge sh@# eating grin, and said "My God, that trigger is like trying to pick up melted butter with your fingers" While nothing is wrong with the 686, it's just not near as refined trigger wise as the Python.

• 2 weeks later...
I've owned a ton of Smith K and L frames. They have all been great but most have been sold over the years. I currently own (and will not part with) a couple of early pristine Pythons. They are too cool to compete with but every once in a while I'll take them to the range and fire a few rounds. I then lovingly clean/oil them and put them back in the safe. When you cock a Python the action is like poetry. If you find a good early Python the high price is justified.

This.

When I gave my 6" Stainless Python to a friend to shoot (He normally shoots a S&W 686), after the first 6 shots, he layed it on the table, turned around with this huge sh@# eating grin, and said "My God, that trigger is like trying to pick up melted butter with your fingers" While nothing is wrong with the 686, it's just not near as refined trigger wise as the Python.

And this.

The Python is the Rolls Royce of the revo world. I view them as a piece of Americana, they were made back when craftsmanship was king. There is nothing wrong with a well tuned S&W action, but it has to be well tuned to even approach an older Python. The Python has went the way of the dodo bird. With corporate profits driving everything, we'll not likely see them produced again. I have a cherry 6" blue Python, that just goes to the range every once in awhile, get cleaned and put back in the safe. It will never be sold.

Most Pythons do have fairly light and very smooth actions straight out of the box. But they're hard to shoot well in DA mode because of that dang stacking trigger pull and the very late timing that is part of the Python design.

Supposedly Reeves Jungkind figured out how to take that stacking out of the trigger pull, but I have never felt one of his actions to confirm that.

No matter how light and smooth the action is, if the pull gets heavier and heavier until it suddenly releases just as the cylinder finally locks in, it will create a tendency to clutch and yank at the trigger. To shoot well in DA mode, you need a trigger pull that is consistent from beginning to end, or (better yet) lightens slightly after the cylinder stop engages the notch before you roll off the shot.

I had a King Cobra in 357, and was underwhelmed. It had a larger, stronger frame than the Pythons, but it lacked the fit and finish.

To me, an old Python is like a peice of Americana, a finely tooled and finished peice of art, the result of the work of a craftsman. They are wonderful to hold, and when you pull the trigger on one, it's all that history and tradition that guides the bullet!!

Colts are very seldom seen on the silhouette circuit, as they don't stand up well to the abuse. The lack of parts available for them would put them out of the running for any kind of competition, in my experience.