Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

mo critique

Aristotle

This wasn't too much of a technical match. I was really trying to work on trigger control and other fundamentals. But maybe someone can see more than I see now. I felt really stiff, probably because I haven't shot in 3 weeks, but also because it was 25* out. I wasn't going to shoot this match, but thought of Area 4 and how I should get some time in, in wether less than Ideal so i know what I'm dealing with and my "tendecies" in "cold weather". The extra layers definitely hamper my footwork.

I also got to shoot a polish plate rack, ton of fun! But it can be pretty evil. :cheers:

Stage 1 – Looks good. The only thing I seen that was strange was a little muzzle bounce just as you fully mount the gun and before the first shot. It happened before the first shot and after the reload. Punching the gun out too aggressively?

Stage 2 – Look at all of your extra movements in the chair at the start. Your feet are forward and the first thing you do is pull your feet back to stand up. You could have started with your feet back in the “Stand Up” position that way all you have to do is simply stand up. At the start it seems strange to stand up and pause to shoot the target on the right and then move again to shoot the ones on the left. You turned that first shooting position into two separate setups instead of one smooth position. You could have gotten up and around the table then shot the right hand target and then swung to the left to shoot the others as you advanced forward. Those left side targets are close enough to blast them at almost a full run. Stay low when you come into shooting positions. You are coming in and standing up every time you shoot. Stay low until the shooting is over.

Stage 3 – Did the WSB state the you had to take the plates in the specific positions? In the box, below the wall, and through the barrel. The same for the paper. Could you take that anywhere or only in specific places? It seems like you could have picked off the paper in some different places to save some time, like under the wall instead of taking it on the move to the barrel. Misses on steel while trying to exit = OUCH!!!

Stage 4 – On all of your draws your left hand is just hanging in the breeze until you get a grip on the gun in the holster. Both of your hands should be going to the gun as soon as the buzzer goes off. The sooner you can build your grip the sooner you can start shooting. Your reloads are pretty kick ass though!!!

Stage 5 – Strange engagement order on the front half. Why not take the steel then the swinger and then hit the paper on the left as your hauling ass forward? At the end you engage both right and left paper first and then finish on the steel. Why not shoot it all right to left finishing on the left paper? You are also standing up when you come into the shooting position.

Stage 1 – Looks good. The only thing I seen that was strange was a little muzzle bounce just as you fully mount the gun and before the first shot. It happened before the first shot and after the reload. Punching the gun out too aggressively?

Stage 2 – Look at all of your extra movements in the chair at the start. WSB stated legs had to be under the table. Your feet are forward and the first thing you do is pull your feet back to stand up. You could have started with your feet back in the “Stand Up” position that way all you have to do is simply stand up. At the start it seems strange to stand up and pause to shoot the target on the right and then move again to shoot the ones on the left. You turned that first shooting position into two separate setups instead of one smooth position. You could have gotten up and around the table then shot the right hand target and then swung to the left to shoot the others as you advanced forward. Those left side targets are close enough to blast them at almost a full run. Stay low when you come into shooting positions. You are coming in and standing up every time you shoot. Stay low until the shooting is over.

Stage 3 – Did the WSB state the you had to take the plates in the specific positions? Yes, WSB stated all of the positions of the plates, paper HAD to be engaged everywhere but the area's for the steel only. In the box, below the wall, and through the barrel. The same for the paper. Could you take that anywhere or only in specific places? It seems like you could have picked off the paper in some different places to save some time, like under the wall instead of taking it on the move to the barrel. Misses on steel while trying to exit = OUCH!!!

Stage 4 – On all of your draws your left hand is just hanging in the breeze until you get a grip on the gun in the holster. Both of your hands should be going to the gun as soon as the buzzer goes off. Yeah, still a work in progress, thanks!The sooner you can build your grip the sooner you can start shooting. Your reloads are pretty kick ass though!!!

Stage 5 – Strange engagement order on the front half. Why not take the steel then the swinger and then hit the paper on the left as your hauling ass forward? They built a significant "delay" on the swinger (longer rope), and the WSB specifically stated we could not shoot it until it began moving, so I hit the static target before transitioning back to the swinger. Otherwise I would have had to wait on it from there. At the end you engage both right and left paper first and then finish on the steel. Why not shoot it all right to left finishing on the left paper? You are also standing up when you come into the shooting position.

as always, thanks for the Critique!

Edited by Aristotle

Aristotle> On stage 3 it might have made more sense to save the two paper targets for the under the wall position. That way you are not leaving on a plate and you are already dug into the shooting position. Taking the paper under the wall would also save you a couple of extra "Setups" inbetween shooting positions so you could really haul ass from one place to the next.

Aristotle> On stage 3 it might have made more sense to save the two paper targets for the under the wall position. That way you are not leaving on a plate and you are already dug into the shooting position. Taking the paper under the wall would also save you a couple of extra "Setups" inbetween shooting positions so you could really haul ass from one place to the next.

I couldn't. The MD was actually standing there as we shot, and he specifically stated that the paper targets MUST be engaged between transitions of the shooting locations and NOT from the locations you shoot the steel at. There was a shooting box, low cover and then through the barrel.

Ouch........... Not much "Freestyle, figure it out on your own" for that stage....... You shooting an IDPA match :roflol:

yeah, that's why i said that "it wasn't much of a technical match" and just focused on fundamentals. :blush: Mostly glad I got to try out that polish plate rack.

I shot the same match with Aristotle and the majority of the shooters were competing in a concealed carry division that was awarding prizes at the end, so not quite IDPA, but almost. Man it was cold that day. Did anyone notice Ari's slip but no fall on one of the stages? He's got that maneuver down and still bounces back quickly.

I shot that match also. On #3 in the vid I took both the paper after finishing the plate rack through the barrel. On #2 I did the same start as you and stood to shoot the paper on the right, then took the two on the left on the move. When dry running it shooting the three on the move, after shooting the one on the right I found myself too far downrange and possible breaking the 180. I didn't do this but a guy on our squad went in deep to shoot the four poppers, then went directly to the swinger and stayed there to shoot the turner also. It was one of those I can't believe I didn't think of that moments.

By the way your reloads are great.

Adam

:roflol:

yeah, getting better at that. Hoping none of the TX shooters see this now, lol.

why because we may say, that you slip and fall with a gun but catch yourself and not break the 180(playing superman), or the ditch incident where you saved your range bag(playing aquaman). and slipping on the ice, well that kinda looked like you were break dancing, or maybe doing the moonwalk(maybe playing Michael Jackson)

I shot that match also. On #3 in the vid I took both the paper after finishing the plate rack through the barrel. On #2 I did the same start as you and stood to shoot the paper on the right, then took the two on the left on the move. When dry running it shooting the three on the move, after shooting the one on the right I found myself too far downrange and possible breaking the 180. I didn't do this but a guy on our squad went in deep to shoot the four poppers, then went directly to the swinger and stayed there to shoot the turner also. It was one of those I can't believe I didn't think of that moments.

By the way your reloads are great.

Adam

That's funny about that stage with the 4 poppers. I went first on 3 of the stages, and of course someone on my squad also shot the swinger from the left side. I totally missed the fact that there were NO FAULT LINES! DOH!!!

Some reason, I thought that the walls extended to the berms. Oh well.

BTW, good match! Gotta watch out for you. ;-)

Ari

On #2 I did the same start as you and stood to shoot the paper on the right, then took the two on the left on the move. When dry running it shooting the three on the move, after shooting the one on the right I found myself too far downrange and possible breaking the 180.

BTW, good call on that. A shooter DQ'd, that did exactly that. He got moving, and the next thing I know, I see bushing and a muzzle over his shoulder.

Edited by Aristotle

This wasn't too much of a technical match. I was really trying to work on trigger control and other fundamentals. But maybe someone can see more than I see now. I felt really stiff, probably because I haven't shot in 3 weeks, but also because it was 25* out. I wasn't going to shoot this match, but thought of Area 4 and how I should get some time in, in wether less than Ideal so i know what I'm dealing with and my "tendecies" in "cold weather". The extra layers definitely hamper my footwork.

I also got to shoot a polish plate rack, ton of fun! But it can be pretty evil. :cheers:

Aristotle,

The only thing that I saw that you didn't do is when you shot weak-handed, you went from right to left. I think it is better off to shoot it from left to right. The gun is naturally recoiling to the right side because you don't have another hand on the gun. Let the recoil work for you.