Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock 17 Mag Well

G17raider

Only if you feel that it decreases your reload time. After shooting SSP division in IDPA for a while, I've gotten quite used to doing speed reloads without having a magwell. I feel that I can reload the Glock without a magwell just as fast as I could load my SVI with it's huge magwell. It's just practice, practice, practice.

Had a speed-shoot mag change today where everything LOOKED perfect, but the mag was a little bit further away from my eyes than the gun was. Struggled for about .2 seconds to seat it & continued on, no big deal. Had to ask my buddy the RO to learn what had gone wrong.

Would have been a total mess without the magwell on my G35. It's nice to have a perfect mag change, and it's the fastest way too. Don't need a magwell to do a perfect mag change. But they're not always there, especially running. L-10 guys have to do 3 loads on the average field course. I do one. And I want my magwell.

My $.02

I am going to disagree with CGR's "100 in a row in a dark room" theory.

When one performs a proper reload (in my opinion), they are looking the mag into the gun.

One-hundred in a row in the dark would make for a good practice session though. :D

I agree, that add-on magwells add weight and change the grip. That is usually seen as a good thing (but, might not be for everybody).

CGR carries the T.H.E. magwell, which many consider the best option...if you choose to go with a add-on magwell. (I haven't found the need for a magwell yet, but I might be in the minority.)

Practice is key, regardless. ;)

I am going to disagree with CGR's "100 in a row in a dark room" theory.

When one performs a proper reload (in my opinion), they are looking the mag into the gun.

Flex, My point was to illustrate that if you can do what I described above you will not need a magwell, you will not need to look at the gun either.

Even the best reloaders shank a load once in awhile which is why basically everyone can gain some benifit from a maagwell.

Coming from a singlestack gun, I found the stock glock magwell opening to be really huge. However, if given the choice, I'd still put an aftermarket mag well on it just so I don't have to keep on trimming the plastic edges from burrs. Too much reload practice isn't doing the plastic magwell edges any good. :(

The only issue with 10-round mags and any of the magwells for a Glock is that the mags are kind of a pain to seat w/ the magwell and without extensions on the basepads. The extended aluminum basepads would seem to be the hot ticket for that. Arredondo makes some plastic ones, too.

I put a magwell on my Glock just because it's an open gun and then realized it does help. I had always felt the Glock wells were pretty generous on their own, but after adding one, I see the advantage. A bigger target is easier to be a little sloppy on and still get a good hit. You can not always be on the money and the slight edge it provides is sooner or later gonna save a re-load from going down in flames on ya. You'll love it then.

FWIW, I use the JP aluminum one because it's black and real light. I like the balance the way it is on my gun, and besides, a full mag with a Taylor Freelance +11 basepad adds plenty enough weight for me ;-)

300lbgorilla is right on the money about needing extended base pads to ensure reliable mag seating after adding a magwell. Even my 17 rounders with the Glock factory +2 bases are more difficult to seat with a funnel well, it takes a decent sized basepad to do the job well. The Gramms, Arredondo or Taylor Freelance should all do the job, but check with the supplier of the well you choose as some wells have trouble with some pads and need a little tweaking to make the fit nice and proper.

Regards,

For the 10-rounders I use (on speed shoots only) with my magwell, I added Scherer extensions. I grinded off some of the "hook" and made them flat & square on a belt sander - to match the square bottoms of my +5 extended mags.

You can also grind on plastic extensions by just using the mag as a handle and swirling the Scherers on some 200 grit Emory cloth. I have a lot of emory cloth and 200 works the fastest.

I have a brass magwell (Glockmeister) and a steel guiderod from Tom Novak - NHO: http://www.handgunneroutlet.net

This balances out the gun much better than stock Glock, in my opinion. The extra 6oz or so of weight will slightly help with limp wristing, but mostly you have to just hold onto the gun tight.

Find some shooters in A class or above & ask them to demonstrate how you can lock your wrists without necessarily death-gripping your fingers around the gun. While you're at it, ask them to test your stance against simulated recoil - let them slap their hand into your fists. In person it's much more clear than in print. Should help to get you well your way.

Raider,

There is no reason for you to be "limp-wristing" and getting jams (unless you weigh under 100lbs.).

That is a technique problem. And, I would work on fixing that before I bought any extra gear for the gun. (Sure, adding weight might help...but it will result in masking the technique problem.) Fix the fundamentals. :)