Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

shooting 45GAP out of a 625

JAB

Id like to hear from anyone about shooting 45cal (GAP) out of a S&W 625 I was talking to a guy at a match he was using them in his 625 .He told me that it was faster on the reloads because they are shorter

This topic has arisen several times in the past.

The last I knew, Cliff was still loading and shooting GAP brass--now, that may or may not have contributed to blowing up his 625PC.

Several others (Dan Carden comes to mind) experimented with the shortened brass (both GAP and custom cut ACP brass) and decided it didn't make any meaningful difference.

I wouldn't expect any magical improvement from running GAP brass.

I have put about 500 rounds of G.A.P. through my 625,

Switched to gap cause fed 150 primers were not to be found and fed 200’s were.

Have not seen an improvement in my shooting that I can say was from the brass,

but believe the ejection is more positive, more so when ejecting live rounds.

I have seen that shooters can get 3 moons per post on the Bob Purdue's moon carriers with all the bullets pointed in the same orientation.

You can get that 3rd row with acp brass but you have to place that top moon with bullets oriented in an upward position to achieve similar goal.

Good to have these extra rounds on a field course that requires you to engage a pair of Texas Stars from 20+ yards or the evil Polish Plate Rack.

the cost of the moon clips is the main reason I dont try them--at $8.00 each wow that hurts -- it would be nice to load most everything I shoot without changing primers...just lazyyy

4 posts, 2 moons each, 6 rounds per moon, that's 48 rounds. Seriously? You need more than that?

I would agree with you 90 percent of the time. There are just some stages where it simply builds confidence to have the extra rounds that you are likely not going to need.

the cost of the moon clips is the main reason I dont try them--at $8.00 each wow that hurts -- it would be nice to load most everything I shoot without changing primers...just lazyyy

Or use Speer Non-Toxic .45 ACP brass which has the small pistol primer....

Id like to hear from anyone about shooting 45cal (GAP) out of a S&W 625 I was talking to a guy at a match he was using them in his 625 .He told me that it was faster on the reloads because they are shorter

I don't run a 625 but would like to fine one down the road. My qusten is what would make you want to shot gap in the first place? That round don't have what it takes in the long run. Your not shoting a 610 where the 3/16 less brass helps out on reloads. Now tell the class about the tumbeling rounds and power and lead bild up in your cylender, that will cose you nothing but problems. :blink:

4 posts, 2 moons each, 6 rounds per moon, that's 48 rounds. Seriously? You need more than that?

Plus the 6 in the gun to start gives you 54 rounds. :surprise:

Think about it like this. Limited and Open shooters have a mag in the gun, plus a reload mag and usuall a OS mag, that is around 60 rounds of ammo! Hell I carry 57 rounds when I shoot SS.

Plus the 6 in the gun to start gives you 54 rounds. :surprise:

Think about it like this. Limited and Open shooters have a mag in the gun, plus a reload mag and usuall a OS mag, that is around 60 rounds of ammo! Hell I carry 57 rounds when I shoot SS.

Okay, 60 rounds for L&O shooters, 57 for SS, 54 for Revo with a 4 post NM moonclip holder without resorting to GAP brass.