Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best Cleaning gear?

GIO

I had to dump all of my cleaning supplies due to a move and I need to re-buy my supply. Thought it would be a good time to try new things.

I shoot Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun. Standard Calibers .223/308 12ga .45 .357/38 and .22

What is the ticket for Bore cleaning, Lube, general cleaning, etc.

What is everybody using these days?

Thanks for the info, hope everyone had a great thanksgiving!

You know, I have tried a few things over the years. I still just use Hoppe's #9 solvent ($3.00)and their aluminum rods($5.00). All I clean at the present is pistol so things might be different for long guns. I was having troube getting moly residue out of my barrel but soaking it longer, as recommended by shooters here, took care of that. And I use gunscrubber spray and an air compressor to clean out the guts. I looked at the Dewey stuff and some others that was much more expensive but I just could not justify the cost.

Dewey rods and attachments

Proshot patches ( I work at a store and this is what we carry)

Kroil/Shooters Choice/Butch's Bore Shine for the bore

MilComm MC25 for the rest of the gun (smells good, works good)

Slide Glide for fire control surfaces

Mobil 1 Synthetic 5w-20 for all other lubrication needs

I don't really clean bores anymore --- I do keep boresnakes on hand for an occasional pass down the tube.....

Other than that, shop rags, toothbrushes, Q-tips, and chamber brushes and a bolt lug recess cleaning tool for the AR are about all I need.

Using Mobil 1 on the 1100 makes cleaning a wipe-down process. Using Slide-Glide on pistols and rifles does pretty much the same....

I don't really clean bores anymore --- I do keep boresnakes on hand for an occasional pass down the tube.....

Other than that, shop rags, toothbrushes, Q-tips, and chamber brushes and a bolt lug recess cleaning tool for the AR are about all I need.

Using Mobil 1 on the 1100 makes cleaning a wipe-down process. Using Slide-Glide on pistols and rifles does pretty much the same....

slide glide, hoppes, and rags