Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Internal slide lightening pictures wanted

Fireant

I remember seeing a gun from Matt I think that looked like a long dust cover with a round top slide, but weighed in like a lightened slide gun. I have searched the forums and can not find any pictures of the internal milling that was done. So, lets see some guns that went on a diet, but you can not tell from the outside.

I have pictures, but they all look normal from the outside! I didn't take any pics of the internal cuts. Had a full dustcover STI without holes in the slide that weighed the same as a short dustcover gun w/ holes.

I'd love to see them.

I was thinking of lightening up my slide

The internal slide lightening that reduces the most weight, can be see on an older Colt National Match slide. The bore of the slide is machined larger between the barrel bushing and back to just in front of the locking lugs. It is used with a standard barrel and a barrel bushing. As the slide cycles, the barrel is supported by the bushing at the front and the bore of the slide at the rear.

In my opinion, it is not a good idea to machine the bore larger if a bull or coned barrel is used. These barrels are not supported (like a bushing) by the slide at the front when it cycles, only at the rear. If the bore is machined larger, the support at the rear is reduced and binding can result.

Well, sorry I haven't been around much lately. I have been busy with my war with cancer ... which so far I am winning.

A fact is that you will need a sturdy milling machie. A favorite method of mine is to vise-hold the slide verically and ream down close to the lug cuts with a suitable size drill, reamer, or boring bar. Then I fabricate a like sized bushing, with matched threads on slide and bushing, fo either a standard or bull barrel. You can also mill some material on both sides of the firing pin tunnel.

So there you are, get to work. You don't need no stinking pictures !

Venry

I have been busy with my war with cancer ... which so far I am winning.

:cheers:

Good to hear that Venry :)

BTW :

How does that kind of modifications affect the strength of the slide ?

Will the slide last as long as a non machined one ?

Edited by Julien Boit