Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mad, Crazy Power Factor Ammo!

rhino

Last spring I was shooting MFS (Hungarian) factory 230gr FMJ in my .45 and it made 183PF. At the Kentucky Section Match, I was shooting Armscor 230gr FMJ and it made 184PF.

Now I'm shooting IMI (Israeli) 230gr FMJ. The five shot average yesterday was 188.968PF.

So much for the 165PF girly loads.

Anyone else shoot Manly Man Loads?

Warning . . . shooting > 185PF may cause your pants to rip! :D

Somewhere around here I'ver still got some S&W ammo, from when they were "loading" their own in the early 80's. (They had a subcontractor do it for them, but they had the name, headstamp and marketing.)

The .45 ACP was 230 hardball at 998 fps. A 229PF!

The .357 Mag was a 125 JHP at 1475. A 183PF.

And the nastiest .357 Mag load was a 90 JSP at 1810.

The bizarre load was a 9mm jacketed semi wadcutter. Weirdest-looking thing you've ever seen. I forget what it ran.

I have some Georgia Arms ammo loaded with a 158gr Gold Dot JHP. It's supposed to make 1475 from a six inch gun. Even if it's just close to that, it's going to be a real wrist snapper. Needless to say, I still have all 50 rounds! :D

229PF .45 sounds like my cup o' tea! In someone else's gun, of course! ;)

My pin load is a 203 pf out of the gun cold, it drops to about 199 after the gun warms ups. I'm shooting a loaded long .40.

Man does it whack pins!!! It's a sweet shooting load as long as you just watch the dot, it just kinda blips from pin to pin... :D

Ray C.

For a long while I used Georgia Arms practice ammo in my 10mm Glock. 180gr @ 1100fps, 198 PF. Made some nice shots through wood "hardcover" and plastic barrels :)

I reload some wussy 10mm loads now, but for hot loads, doubletapammo.com is hard to beat. 254 PF, 200gr FMJ @ 1270 fps (out of a stock G20) :o

Jerry with a 184PF? That's wimpy for him. His load for pins was a hard-cast 205 .358" (designed for the .35 Remington as I recall) in .38 Special cases (a lifetime supply of free, once-fired +P cases from the local PD) with a dollop of Blue Dot. Enough to get them over 1,000 fps out of his M-27 S&W. Sometimes pin fragments would fly over the backstop.

Hey Rhino,

Why am I not surprised it is you who started this topic :P

Just yesterday night I shot a bunch of my self-rolled .357M 158gr SJSP loads. With 15 grains of N110 they bang nicely ! If I remember correct PF last time I measured was somewhat above 200 :D

And today in the afternoon I will get (buy) a S&W 29 from a friend of mine. I know that with the coming of .454 Casull and especially .500 S&W the .44M catridge is somewhat "degraded", but it's still a lot of fun :wub:

For competing in IPSC PD with my G17 I use ammo that gives me PF 145 - 150. I know it is a little bit overkill for PD, but I just like shooting it ;)

Oh, do PF's for shotguns count ? Just a few weeks ago we weighed & measured some slug catridges. From my Winchester 1300 I reached PF well over 500 B)

Blazer .45ACP/230 is surprisingly hot and can run close to 200PF out of some guns. For pins, there is a .40 cal load using V V 's N105 that will push a 200 grn plated bullet to over 1100 fps for greater than 200 PF. Not something I'd shoot out of an unsupported 1911 or stock Glock .40 barrel though.

I like the big boom and the flames like the rest of you, but it's no fun doing it if it hurts...

There's nothing quite like shooting really heavy loads in a S&W .357 with the backstrap exposed to the tender flesh of your palm . . .

I had (for a while, before a real masochist bought it off me) a 4" Smith 629. 300gr Sierrs JHP at 900fps (19gr of 4227) 270pf. It bit like a shark on steroids. I could never shoot anymore than 20 in a day. Plus I would occaisionally drop one of those in when some hero decided he liked recoil. Which he discovered was more recoil than he thought possible.

The hottest load ever fired in the gun (ONCE) was 19gr of H110 which in a 7" it is supposed to go 1325fps, in a 4" I expect about 1000fps. No one would lend me a chrono to check this load, so we never found out what it did in the little biter.

The nastiest load for recoil ever was a 345gr Lead at 750fps, it shot like shit, but boy did it go bang. That was a real hand warmer.

I am working on a 500Linebaugh which in a 6" Single Action will pop a 400gr Cast at 1550fps (620pf). I have a 20" lever rifle being sorted at the gunsmith, which according to Buffalo Bore Ammo will launch 525gr leads at 1500 fps. OW!

OK I have to admit I will not shoot this stuff in a match, but it makes for some fun after the serious stuff.

Most of my IPSC loads for 38Super are at 178pf, but one guy I shoot with who still uses 9x25 will usually run closer to 210pf for annoyance value at side matches.

You guys deserve the same answer an Italian hunter got from the National Firearms catalog committee (the committee that decides which handguns can be legally purchased in Italy by civilians) when he tried to have a .50BMG Barnett catalogued as a hunting rifle:

"Dinosaurs were extinct long ago, so what are you planing to hunt with that?"

:D