Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

DPMS Hotrod Handguard

JeffWard

Looks cool on the site, for 3-gun.

DPMSHotRod.jpg

Anyone tried one? Legit, gimmicky, quality?

I was going to drop a rifle-length handguard on my carbine with a low-pro gas block. For a budget-build, what would you suggest?

Jeff

I would suggest a different option. The hot rod handguard is really heavy versus a standard vented one and the gas tube is exposed the length of the handguard

DPMSHotRod.jpg

I was going to drop a rifle-length handguard on my carbine with a low-pro gas block. For a budget-build, what would you suggest?

Jeff

VTAC is the best bang for your buck in my opinion. I've tried to find good inexpensive tubes but most have all that quad rail crap going on and they are $200+!

Yahkee Hill Machine makes a VTAC like tube that is a little cheaper. Instead of slots like the VTAC it has threaded holes every 45° so you can attach rails just about anywhere you want. I have a carbine length one on my practice gun that I bought back in February when you couldn't find any AR15 parts like the VTAC. I plan to upgrade it to a VTAC rifle length now that they are readily available again.

DPMSHotRod.jpg

Jeff

I would suggest a different option. The hot rod handguard is really heavy versus a standard vented one and the gas tube is exposed the length of the handguard

I handled one at SHOT and would agree that it is heavy. While it does indeed look cool, I also did not feel it was very comfortable (lack of postive feel to hand placement) and wondered if it would show stage wear easier than the yankee hill handguards I am currently using.

The new VTAC/Troy Extreme rails seen here are going to be an awesome option for 3 gun rifles. It comes with user configurable rail sections and has a full length top rail that lines up perfectly with the top rail of your receiver. It is the slimmest handguard available when no rail sections are added. And it is very light in weight and able to be quickly removed if need be. The 13" handguard without added rail sections weighs 12.7 ounces with the barrel nut. My PRI carbon fiber competition(12")handguard weighs 12.3 ounces with the barrel nut.

There have been some matches where having a 2" diameter handguard has made it difficult to engage targets through some tough horizontal and angled slotted ports. This handguard should allow a much better position in many of these awkward slots as well. I am replacing my PRI after Fort Benning with the 13" rail for next season.

For a cheap free float tube, I really like the standard DPMS vented aluminum tube. Installation is easy (with an AR barrel tool), and it provides a comfortable hold. I think retail is around $70, but I've gotten 2 of them for almost 1/2 that.

The "hot-rod" tube has a little too much "bling" for me. (I think that's what the kids call it nowadays.)

Edited by Bryan 45

Is the Clark carbon fiber handgaurd any good or is the glued barrel nut a weak link?

I don't care for it one bit. Flimsy aluminum barrel nut and once the tube is glued on its pretty much on there.It is ultralight though.

I have one planned for a 20" build I'm doing over the winter. Wanted to go as light as possible to help w/ the weight of the barrel. I've only removed the VTAC from my current upper once in two years so I don't think the lack of "serviceability" will be a problem. I just hope it's strong.

The Hogue i tried on a friends rifle needed a strap wrench to install-----yuck.

Todd, keep us informed on that slim handguard. I'm not taking my PRI off just yet but will like to hear your impressions of the new one.

I've already got one on my backup upper and several others of us are running the new VTAC Xtreme and it is the heat. Very sturdy and light. I just did not want to break my rifle down til after Benning although I want it on there now.

I have the V-Tac Xtreme on my iron sight rifle and it is indeed "the heat". If you look for them at Benning you will see several on some of the Big Finger's rifles. There was even one very early one seen at Tri-Gun Challenge this year. That is where I first handled it and ordered mine from a cell phone on the way home somewhere is Wisconsin.

If you don't want to drop the coin on one don't handle one because if you ever pick one up you will have to buy it!

At the risk of further derailing the topic with all the talk of different handguards, I figured I could chime in with my experience with the Troy/V-tac extreme floater tube.

I got the Troy version, only difference between the Troy and V-tac versions is the Troy uses holes where the V-tac uses slots. I got the 13" version and mounted it on a 16" middy barrel. As has been said, it is very light and rigid. I like the thinner profile, and the grooves make for a sure grip. Heat transfer is not an issue for me so far. Shooting barehanded, normal rates of fire were comfortable. Extended rapid fire of course will heat it up, but no more so than other guards, and quite a bit less than the non vented DPMS tube I used to use.

Not really sure who to blame, Troy for it's rail and sights, BCM for it's barrel and upper, or the time I took to lap the barrel mounting face, but sighting it in with irons took zero windage adjustment, and only 2 clicks of elevation adjustment. Had I sighted in at 50 yds instead of 25 I probably wouldn't have had to make the elevation adjustment, but 25 yards was what I had to deal with.

So far, the only downfall is the price, but I'm glad I paid it.

newar17.jpg

newar15.jpg

Edited by kwrangln