Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Power of Focus

Yagi

One of the most powerful forces in the world is under your complete control, and how you use it determines what happens to you in life. Let me explain what I mean.

If you are a parent, how many times have you told your kids to "pay attention"? I'll bet you do it all the time, because you know it's important. But I wonder if you really understand the power of our focused attention?

Have you ever been playing a game, take for example, tennis, and when your time on the court is almost up, you say to your partner, "OK, now, we've only got a few minutes left, so let's really do our best!" And suddenly, instead of volleys that last for five or six returns, they go on for five or ten minutes! Or perhaps you've put off working on a project until the last possible moment, and then you amaze yourself with how much you get done in an incredibly short space of time. I think we've all experienced similar

things. It's not the deadline itself that boosts your productivity and effectiveness. It's the incredible power of your focused attention.

The point I want to make today is that there is absolutely no reason why you can't perform this well all the time. All of us have the potential to be peak performers. Unfortunately, only some of us have learned how to control and focus our attention, to harness our thoughts, beliefs and attitudes and direct them toward what we want, when we want.

We can learn this skill. And once we've learned it, you'll be amazed at how much your life will change for the better.

even though im only 22 i get an odd feeling sometimes how time is running out and really...takin it easy and thinking to yourself...'i got all the time in the world' and then 5-10 years pass by and then what have you done..

• 1 month later...

Awesome post Yagi!

:)

I play attention games with routine daily activities. Whenever you reach for a door handle, be there. When you run or pour water, be there. When you sit down or stand up, be there. When your feet touch the floor in the morning, be there. Etc. and so on.

be

focus is great and we know it is powerful; the problem is the extensive stimulation it places on the body's energy pathways.. that is is why humans find it so hard to stay there..consistently and at a high level..

I think equally important in learning how to 'be there' is learning how to 'not be there' and we can use our 'not be there' time to reenergise our energy pathways..btw sleep doesnt always allow this..

to look at one without the other is to hear the sound of one hand clapping..

• 2 weeks later...

Focus is so powerful! Too powerful in some? Does it have a dark side? Can it consume you to the point of tunnel vision, tunnel action?

I believe I suffer from this many days and it robs me of so much in my life. Hyper-focused attention on one task, one thing, one idea while the remainder of world falls down around you is not beneficial. Gallup's Strength's Quest says my number one strength is focus, I say it is also a curse.

Looking for balance! -Great Thread!

Cheers,

Kyle

Focus is so powerful! Too powerful in some? Does it have a dark side? Can it consume you to the point of tunnel vision, tunnel action?

I believe I suffer from this many days and it robs me of so much in my life. Hyper-focused attention on one task, one thing, one idea while the remainder of world falls down around you is not beneficial. Gallup's Strength's Quest says my number one strength is focus, I say it is also a curse.

Cheers,

Kyle

Kyle I feel like I know what you mean. I noticed the picture of you with your rifle and I recall the total focus that went in to "the shot", even to the point of release between heart beats. And in most situations it really worked nicely. But then you have the time, when "the world is falling down" in a way in which you need to respond and you aren't "there". I still want to believe it is, more times than not, a strength rather than a curse.

Cheers,

Kyle

Kyle I feel like I know what you mean. I noticed the picture of you with your rifle and I recall the total focus that went in to "the shot", even to the point of release between heart beats. And in most situations it really worked nicely. But then you have the time, when "the world is falling down" in a way in which you need to respond and you aren't "there". I still want to believe it is, more times than not, a strength rather than a curse.

It is a constant reminder to myself to stay centered and that there are many things in my life that need attention. My wife calls it the "Pit Bull" effect at times. She says that I clamp down on one thing, one project, even a television show and everything else around me disappears. I started reading many of the Zen threads and am really enjoying the concept of just "being." Being present for my family is especially important for me.

Kyle