Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2009 USAMU Junior Camp Report

Ken Nelson

My son and I are just a back from the USAMU Junior Shooter Camp at Ft. Benning, GA. We learned a lot, made lots of friends and in general had a blast.

Full report and pictures can be found here:

http://www.kennelson.com/newblog/mgm-army-...ooter-camp-7319

Short version: AWESOME!

I'll also be writing up a Front Sight article in the near future (with help from Rhonda Gibson of MGM).

IMG_5326.jpg

I was fortunate enough to be able to ride over and watch the juniors go through their paces about 4 hours on Saturday. I left with three impressions.

Impression one was the the AMU and the other instructors particiapting in this program were indeed world class. If there is better anywhere in the world, for shooters of any age, I have not seen or heard of it.

My second impression is that either thiis is an exceptionally mature group of juniors or having young people around firearms gives them a maturity that others their own age do not exhibit. I tend to think it is a comination of both with solid parenting at home.

My final impression is simply thank God for MGM, AMU and all the other sponsors. This was money well spent and while Mike and Rhonda Gibson and Big Hamp likely spent time they did not have doing the organizing for this event, the dividends they are going to realize are going to be huge and of infinite duration.

Edited by Charles Bond

That is Great. I told my son about this camp and told him if his grades improve and they have it next year I will get him signed up. He went from a 2.5 to a 3.5 this year, I can hardly wait for him to go. Thanks MGM for all your efforts.

Charles,

What pleased me most about the camp was the quality of people - Army, parent, and junior - that we met.

I can't thank the USAMU, MGM, Remington, Rob Leatham and a host of other sponsors enough.

In fact, I'll list them now - each contributed greatly to the success of the camp:

USAMU

Leatham Enterprises, LLC

Remington Arms

Glock

DPMS

Warne Scope Mounts

Hodgdon

CPWSA

Speed Shooter Specialties

LaCrosse Footwear, Inc.

Dillon Precision

Velocity Shooters

Thalhmier Jewelry

TAPCO

Techware

Mike Gibson Manufacturing

USPSA

Rocky Mountain 3-Gun

IAWCA

Sheep Dog Ammo

Brian Hass Memorial Fund

In addition, other people (unnamed) donated money to help sponsor kids to the camp.

If your club has junior shooters, keep them apprised of the camp.

Regards,

Ken N.

Ken, I'm glad people are spending time with the kids doing this, it will make a huge difference in their future. We have received quite a few thank you notes from several of the Juniors that attended the cam, as we did last year. This makes a big statement as to the character and parenting these kids have, we don't see this from ANY other group of young people we deal with, regardless of age. I'd like to thank Mike and Rhonda for what they've started here, it's a great thing. I couldn't begin to say enough about the AMU guys and all the sponsors, ESPECIALLY the un-named individuals that don't benefit as a business would, THANKS!!!!

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks to Ken and other parents I was able to put together this video that will be going out to all the kids on DVD this week. All the parents were great and I agree that the maturity of all the kids was outstanding. I know my son and is looking forward to next year.

Here's the link to the video:

Enjoy

Edited by azeric

Thanks Guys:

High Lord Gomer did find some typos in the credits, which proves just how hard it is to proof your own work, especially when its in rolling titles.

I'll add him to the proof readers for next years video for sure. I hope the kids enjoy the video, it will be cool for them to show their friends.