Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Large ammo storage

npolley

I use the Squad Automatic Weapon (SAW) Cans because they are a bit wider than the standard 50 cal cans. I also have a 30mm can that I store my primers and bullets in as well. It is big and deep enough to hold quite a bit of stuff.

A friend has some 20mm cans that he uses for primer and powder storage as well as bullets

Because my reloading room is a locked room in itself I dont worry so much about locking the actual container but wal mart sells orange plastic dry boxes in the boating section. They are lockable and a dillon .45 100 rd. Box will fit flat in the bottom.Will hold 1200 rounds in boxes or a lot more loose.

If you are handy with a drill, you can drill a hole right through the ammo box where the latch goes. Then you insert an eye bolt in that hole and then cinch it down with a couple of hex nuts and washers. Close up the box like normal, then put a padlock through the eye of the eyebolt. The box can't be opened then.

Isn't storing the primers and powder in sealed steel cans a no-no?

OTOH, a .30cal ammo can will hold a pretty good amount of loose loaded ammo.

I have the powder in one can and the primers in another. The way I figure it, if those cans are designed to take a 30mm or a .223 round "cooking off"... they can handle a primer or two going off :)

Powder in a sealed box of any kind is a no-no unless the box has a 'blow-out' feature.

Think the worst, an 8 pound jug in a sealed steel box. 5 grains sends a bullet fast and far, think 8 pounds of powder and 4 pounds of box. Bad juju

For powder storage, a 1-2" thick wooden box, with a strong steel mesh panel for relief. Box can be locked to keep little fingers out and still l=keep you safe from danger.

Jim

Powder in a sealed box of any kind is a no-no unless the box has a 'blow-out' feature.

Think the worst, an 8 pound jug in a sealed steel box. 5 grains sends a bullet fast and far, think 8 pounds of powder and 4 pounds of box. Bad juju

For powder storage, a 1-2" thick wooden box, with a strong steel mesh panel for relief. Box can be locked to keep little fingers out and still l=keep you safe from danger.

Jim

So plastic kitty litter tubs are a bad idea?

LOL

For primers I like the orange MTM dry box as I can get 6000 Federal primers in a box, for Winchester large pistol 7000 fit in a fat 50 box, 5000 small pistol fit in a regular 50 box. 8 # jugs of powder in 40 mm boxes and it is all stored in a detached shed.

Jim

Serious question here on safety,

I was told that a 30mm ammo can is designed to "pop the top" if pressure builds but not have the top go flying around so as to contain any ammo that cooks off. Is that true and is it a bad or good thing then?

My thinking was that all/most of the "ammo cans" were designed to "vent but contain explosions" Otherwise why would you store something that could go "boom" in them like well...bullets.

I have made sure that all primers and powder are stores separately and that I only get out the primers I am going to immediately use and don't leave a bunch just lying around waiting for a kid to smack with a hammer :) I only get out the powder that I am using at that moment and leave the rest put away.

I want to make sure that I am as safe as possible so if there is some good information on doing this please let me know. I like having 10 fingers and toes and both eyes. :D

I'm in the process of building a dedicated gun/reloading room in my basement. In my storage area I am considering building some custom storage for primers/powder, either built in to the shelving or stand-alone, I haven't decided yet. I'm thinking about building the sides/top with 5/8" fireboard. Maybe even the shelves between components. Thoughts?

Already have 2 layers of fireboard lining the wall seperating the closet from the rest of the basement. Just the bi-fold door will burn (and 1st story above)

There's a water line near the closet and I'm very tempted to add a sprinkler, but my gun safe is in the same area....

Whole room will be locked up so I don't have to worry about securing components from the little-one or little-one's peers.

-rvb

I have the powder in one can and the primers in another. The way I figure it, if those cans are designed to take a 30mm or a .223 round "cooking off"... they can handle a primer or two going off :)

That's a hot negative, an ammo can isn't designed to contain any kind of explosion. A single blasting cap will totally destroy an ammo can; there wouldn't be much left if 8 lbs of powder went up in a sealed metal box. :surprise:

That's a hot negative, an ammo can isn't designed to contain any kind of explosion. A single blasting cap will totally destroy an ammo can; there wouldn't be much left if 8 lbs of powder went up in a sealed metal box. :surprise:

Isn't there a bit of a difference in burn rates and size of charge between a "blasting cap" that sets off an explosive charge and a primer? I agree that both go bang but the degree and energy of the bang I would think would be of a different magnitude.

Since this is getting away from the original thread question I am thinking I should start a new post question on this topic. :)

Isn't there a bit of a difference in burn rates and size of charge between a "blasting cap" that sets off an explosive charge and a primer? I agree that both go bang but the degree and energy of the bang I would think would be of a different magnitude.

Since this is getting away from the original thread question I am thinking I should start a new post question on this topic. :)

*I am not an explosives expert or a chemist*

Absolutely. A blasting cap is a no-kidding explosive, with properties, burn rates and power that come with it. Gun powder is not technically an explosive, but can have explosive properties if ignited in a closed environment (hence firearms and the basis for this forum ;) ) Putting gunpowder inside a sealed steel container is similar enough to a gun barrel and would probably contain the burn long enough for an explosive effect. My guess is that 8 lbs of it would far exceed the power of a single blasting cap containing, at most, half an ounce of explosive.

The same goes for primers, which are more explosive than gunpowder, although I don't know if setting one off inside a primer sleeve would mean all in the same sleeve would react.