Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ambi Mag Release Query

RaymondMillbrae

Hey folks,

I have a question for yall.

I am a right-handed shooter, and I made a boo-boo a while ago and lost part of my right thumb. ("No"...I didn't shoot it off).

b205742183.jpg

So along those lines, I am still looking for a more effecient method of dropping the mag from my 1911 pistol.

I have tried:

1) Tilting the pistol sideways (pointing left and upward), and reaching with my "stubby thumby" to depress the mag release.

2) Using my weak-hand thumb to depress the mag release, on it's way down to grab a spare mag from my belt holster.

They work OK, but I am still searching.

I have always LOVED the ambi mag release of my H&K USP Compact45 (see pix below), and would love to find something similar for a 1911...but alas, it is like finding the fountain of youth. *sigh*

b205742442.jpg

b205742441.jpg

b205742440.jpg

Anyhoo...in my search, I have found 2 different types of ambi mag releases.

One is the SMITH & ALEXANDER, and the other is the CYLINDER & SLIDE ambi mag release.

The Smith & Alexander looks nice, but carries a hefty price tag of $100.00. And the Cylinder & Slide can be found for a very decent $35.00.

I prefer the sleek look of the S&A ambi, but for the price difference, the C&S looks like a better bargain. The only catch I see about the Cylinder & Slide model is that it has a LEVER that needs to be pushed downward to release the magazine. Whereas the S&A just needs to be depressed like a regular magazine release.

So here's my question...is the Cylinder & Slide worth it? Will the lever catch on a holster and eject my magazine, or is it troublesome to use?

Once again, I WILL NOT be using it with my left-hand thumb. It will be used with my right-hand index finger.

Any input from personal experience would be appreciated.

In Christ: Raymond

Edited by RaymondMillbrae

Pinnman44,

it looks pretty nice...but...

1) I cannot find a price tag for it on the website

2) It looks like it sticks-out a lot. I think it needs a home in a "ghost holster" more than a Blade-Tech.

3) Can I use this in a USPSA L-10 match, or in the Tactical Division for 3-gunning?

Thanks!

The bullet Works is a very good unit. Works well in a blade tech, can be used in any division except production. There is a phone number on thier site, they are good folks, if you call and ask I bet they answer your questions.------------Larry

Raymond, I purchased my mag releases from Mitchell custom about three years ago for a STI, and Kimber 1911. The price was $125.

It is a true drop in and works extremely well. I am right handed and it sits on the right side and I use my trigger finger without having to change my grip. I trimmed the bottom side becaue my finger rubbed against the botton. The left side uses a allen head screw and washer and with mediun lock tite will not loosen.

Jimmy is great to work with and will treat you well, just give him a phone call.

Raymond,

Although I have my whole RH thumb, it is not much longer than what's left of yours. Experimenting with this I noticed that with my shooting grip of the pistol, the tip of my RH middle finger falls right under the mag catch button. All I do to depress it is slide the finger tip up. No grip change. I can do it with my 1911s equipped with Ed Brown mag catch and button and with my M&Ps. Hard to do with a Glock because of the square, pointy and sharp shape of the mag catch. Also, for me it's not as easy with 1911 with no undercut.

Try it and see if you can reach it while gripping the pistol. This may not be the answer you're looking for but it works for me.

Good luck,

Hello: You could try the Wilson mag release with the extension arm on it. Also you can cut a clearance channel for your thumb to help reach the mag release. I know a Grand Master shooter who did this on his single stack since he has short fingers as well and not very tall :roflol: His is s friend of Larry White. Thanks, Eric

Hey guys,

I just wanted to say a hearty THANK YOU for all the replies.

And I wanted to tell NEMO, "Kudos, Hero"...for posting the step-by-step pix!!

In the end, I decided on the BULLETWORKS one from Mitchell Custom.

The more I think about it, and the more I play with my Nighthawk Predator...the more I realize it will work for me.

As a matter of fact, it is almost the same movement I love to use with my plastic pistol - the H&K USP Compact 45. (Darn near identical).

I am excited about it, and I can verify that it runs for $125.00, out dee door. (I emailed the guys, and they responded back to me on Thursday).

But here's the catch...it comes in a brushed silver color...and I do not want shiny stuff hanging off my weapon.

As a matter of fact, I have two other parts (for some other weapons) that also came in a non-blackened finish, and I was wondering what yall would recommend to blacken it. (One of them is an AR-15 compensator).

Duracoat?

Anyhoo...thanks again!

Edited by RaymondMillbrae

And I wanted to tell NEMO, "Kudos, Hero"...for posting the step-by-step pix!!

You're most welcome, RM! B)

But here's the catch...it comes in a brushed silver color...and I do not want shiny stuff hanging off my weapon.

As a matter of fact, I have two other parts (for some other weapons) that also came in a non-blackened finish, and I was wondering what yall would recommend to blacken it. (One of them is an AR-15 compensator).

Duracoat?

I'm not sure Duracoat will last too long on the AR comp. I think your best bet would be IonBond. I'm sure Scott Springer can do those small parts for a very reasonable fee.

Good luck and good shooting,