Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Feeding problem

Swedish

Hi everyone!

Im new to the forum and as my nick says Im a Swedish guy. My English isnt the best but I will try anyway.

I recently purchased a used Tanfoglio Hc Limited .40. The pistol looks like new and have not a single scratch on it. The price was ridiculous low so I bought the gun without even tested it.

Now I know why. I got five magazines with the gun, but everyone of them have the same problem. The gun (magazine) refuse to feed properly. If I load the mag with 16 round, the first ten rounds "nose dive" and stuck.

When the first round should feed in to the chamber, it seems like the round under will travel a bit forward and the top (bullet) then dip down.

Is it just to order new springs and follower and try with new stuff or is it a known problem with this type of magazine that can easy be solved?

Im thankful for all answers/ Rasmus

Hi everyone!

Im new to the forum and as my nick says Im a Swedish guy. My English isnt the best but I will try anyway.

I recently purchased a used Tanfoglio Hc Limited .40. The pistol looks like new and have not a single scratch on it. The price was ridiculous low so I bought the gun without even tested it.

Now I know why. I got five magazines with the gun, but everyone of them have the same problem. The gun (magazine) refuse to feed properly. If I load the mag with 16 round, the first ten rounds "nose dive" and stuck.

When the first round should feed in to the chamber, it seems like the round under will travel a bit forward and the top (bullet) then dip down.

Is it just to order new springs and follower and try with new stuff or is it a known problem with this type of magazine that can easy be solved?

Im thankful for all answers/ Rasmus

Velkommen til forumet, her er det mange nasjonaliteter :) og jeg er sikker på at vi skal få løst problemene dine.

I know a great deal about Tanfoglios, but I'm not an expert in this model in particular.

The problems you are experiencing are pretty common and can be solved by loading the ammo long. 1,22" or so. If you are not reloading I think the best solution would be to get magazines that have spacers. But still......you have bought a gun that is made for IPSC/USPSA standard/limited division and here everybody is reloading. (At least almost). They want there rounds long because it lowers the pressure.

the gun is like a 1911 in the sense that the frame is originally intended for 45acp. and likes long rounds mimicking the longer 45 cartridge.

-call Henning Wallgren (henningshootsguns.com)

-start reloading

-get different mags!

-not necessary in that order. :)

Edited by olp73

Do a search and you should find a lot of information on this subject. The net of it will be that you feed lip dimension on your mags is pretty critical and if you are a reloader you will probably find yourself loading to a length at 1.200" or longer. For .40 S&W that's not all that unusual. I am assuming that you are running the .40 mags so your length may be slightly limited by mag length. Most here run the 10mm mag for .40. You may also find it helpsul to polish the slide breech face as well as the feed ramp. Again, there is a bunch of information in the forum on making these guns run well.

Definitely check your oal and feed lip dimensions (parallel @ .395" should work fine). Check to see if you have the old style mag release as well. There are pictures of this on Henning's site.

The old style release will present the mags too low relative to the feed ramp, and this can cause nose diving.

Thanks all for the information. I have been looking all around internet for information about Tanfoglios, and realized that its a common problem with the magazines.

I shoot IPSC i production class so I reload lots of 9x19 mm ammo, (around 25 000/year) but .40 s&w is a new caliber for me. I saw a easy and cheap way to own a standard pistol when I bought my Tanfoglio.

I have tried most of the suggestions already. The length of my ammo is 1.22" (31mm) But I will try even longer, 1.26" (32mm) I have already tried shorter ammo without any succsess.

When I got the magazines with the gun, the lips was a bit "bent out" but I was guessing because it´s a Italian made weapon the lips should be 10 mm wide. (.395") It did´nt help to correct them.

At this moment I think it dont help me either to polish the feed ramp because the nose dive take place in the magazine itself so the jamming cartrige dont even leave the magazine at all.

What I have noticed is that its important that the case is straight, so I will buy reloading tools from Lee. They calibrate the case longer than most other reloading tools.

I will also buy new magazines from Henning. (18 round Ipsc legal) and at the same time order new springs and followers for my old mags.

I will solve my feedingproblem, because the gun is like a dream to use. :P

Thanks all for the information. I have been looking all around internet for information about Tanfoglios, and realized that its a common problem with the magazines.

I shoot IPSC i production class so I reload lots of 9x19 mm ammo, (around 25 000/year) but .40 s&w is a new caliber for me. I saw a easy and cheap way to own a standard pistol when I bought my Tanfoglio.

I have tried most of the suggestions already. The length of my ammo is 1.22" (31mm) But I will try even longer, 1.26" (32mm) I have already tried shorter ammo without any succsess.

When I got the magazines with the gun, the lips was a bit "bent out" but I was guessing because it´s a Italian made weapon the lips should be 10 mm wide. (.395") It did´nt help to correct them.

At this moment I think it dont help me either to polish the feed ramp because the nose dive take place in the magazine itself so the jamming cartrige dont even leave the magazine at all.

What I have noticed is that its important that the case is straight, so I will buy reloading tools from Lee. They calibrate the case longer than most other reloading tools.

I will also buy new magazines from Henning. (18 round Ipsc legal) and at the same time order new springs and followers for my old mags.

I will solve my feedingproblem, because the gun is like a dream to use. :P

This is what you want!!!!

http://egw-guns.com/store/index.php?main_p...;products_id=40