Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Match with rail...anybody weighed one?

pivoproseem

I know it was substantially heavier than the standard match...so much so that I've spent the last 2 months looking for the older style without the rail. Just found n.i.b. one in .38SA last week that should be here on Tuesday. It's already a pretty heavy gun, but boy the one with the rail was just too heavy for me to put on my hip under any circumstances when it's got a mag full. Holsters may be hard to find for a while too.

i am looking for the new Match with the rail. this weight issue makes me re-think my decision. :angry2: i am indecisive enough fellas.

liontribe

Honestly I think these pistols shoot better with the frame full length and the slide lightened. You may be surprised how well it shoots with the added weight instead of short dustcover.

Leo

Honestly I think these pistols shoot better with the frame full length and the slide lightened. You may be surprised how well it shoots with the added weight instead of short dustcover.

Leo

I will defer to Leo's obvious expertise. If overall weight wasn't an issue, I'm sure this would be true.

Weighed it... not sure if it was the most precise scale... about 42oz w/ an empty mag, IDPA ESP legal (just barely... 43oz is max)!

Leo is correct... shot mine with a rail today back to back against a buddies model w/o the rail, both 9mm's w/ 8lb recoil springs... mine was noticeably better on double taps and had less muzzle flip, the slight extra weight of the rail up front is a good thing.

Edited by ck1

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

My scale says 45.5 oz (9mm Match), just a little too heavy for ESP. Mine will have to go on a diet prior to any sanctioned IDPA matches. Any suggestions (IDPA legal)?

Kevin

Was that with a loaded mag?

My scale says 45.5 oz (9mm Match), just a little too heavy for ESP. Mine will have to go on a diet prior to any sanctioned IDPA matches. Any suggestions (IDPA legal)?

Kevin

Was that with a loaded mag?

Empty mag. I weighed it multiple times on two different scales to be sure. The non-rail model is 42 oz with an empty mag (43 max for ESP). The only thing on the non-rail that might be an issue for IDPA is the mag release. Can't extend more than 0.2 inches from the frame. Rumor has it that someone shooting a railed Match at the FL State IDPA was DQ'ed for weight.

Edited by kamac

• 9 months later...

What is the weight of a typical race Tanfoglio race gun with say 10 rounds of ammo? Scope and all.

My 9mm Witness Match with laser attached is coming up at 57.6 oz

The laser weighs 7.4 oz so the gun with 10 rounds in the mag is 50.2 oz

Just for fun... My S&W .357 AirLite PD with 5 rds. comes up at 14.8 oz

Andy