Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Why not a short stroke Dillon 650 for pistol calibers only?

I don't know if someone posted this idea before but here it goes.

I was at the bench reloading some 9's on my 650 and noticed that around 50% of the piston movement and lever stroke is not needed. I know all that movement is great for long rifle rounds but I mainly reload pistol calibers and 223 for long range stages only. So I started to wonder, why not have a 650 dedicated to pistols calibers only where the piston only moves around 2.5" and the stroke is cut in half? Less movement and faster reloading.

Here are the downsides I could think of so far:

1. Seating the primer will done while pulling up on the handle instead of forward. That could be difficult for some. If you look at the loader from the side, the primer is seated at around the 2 o'clock position so you push forward. A half stroke will seat the primer at the 10-11 o'clock position which requires an upward force.

2. If there is a jam, there is less space to get you fingers between the dies and the shell plate.

What do you guys think? Has something like this been done before?

The problem will be that you will now have a whole lot of tension being placed in the machine in a very short period of time, you will have cases only just released from the dies as the shellplate starts to turn.

I think for handgun only cartridges (anything 1.5" OAL or less) there is room only to shorten by about 25% not 50% and I am not sure it is a desirable feature to have a much shorter machine. I still think the way it is gives you room for manoeuvring, you need a little slack in the sytsem to cover you.

I think that it needs to be a little longer for some of the cartridges. I only load cartridges shorter than 7.62x39 on the 650, all longer cartridges are now loaded on a 550.

Hello: There are called a Dillon RL 1050 :roflol: The RL 1050 has a shorter stroke than the Super 1050 and seats the primer on the downstroke. With the bullet feeders they can really crank out the ammo. I use mine for 9mm,40,45acp and 223. It works great for all of those. Hope this helps or maybe it will cost you more money and time looking for a RL1050 :surprise: Thanks, Eric

It would be simpler to just put a shorter handle on the current machine and have the best of both. A half length handle would probably

work fine for pistol calibers and give half the amount of hand movement.

Hello: There are called a Dillon RL 1050 :roflol: The RL 1050 has a shorter stroke than the Super 1050 and seats the primer on the downstroke. With the bullet feeders they can really crank out the ammo. I use mine for 9mm,40,45acp and 223. It works great for all of those. Hope this helps or maybe it will cost you more money and time looking for a RL1050 :surprise: Thanks, Eric

I'd love an RL 1050 for 9mm and 223. It would take care of those PITA military primer pocket crimps.

What if you didn't have to buy a new machine but instead change 4 or 5 simple bolt on parts? What type of increase in production would make this worthwhile? Keep in mind, we're only talking about 650 machines with a case feeder and short pistol calibers only (9mm, 40, 45, 38 super, etc.) and no magnums.

Edited by ERIC

I love my RL1050B... and would buy another new one in a heartbeat....but Dillon stopped making them :angry2: WHY ????

What if you didn't have to buy a new machine but instead change 4 or 5 simple bolt on parts? What type of increase in production would make this worthwhile? Keep in mind, we're only talking about 650 machines with a case feeder and short pistol calibers only (9mm, 40, 45, 38 super, etc.) and no magnums.

The problem would be at the priming station. Everything else would be pretty simple to change, but the priming would require some major engineering - unless you were willing to prime by hand.