Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

A little fun: Coin on barrel variation

MrBorland

I just uploaded the video. It's my first attempt at making a vid and posting on youtube, so go easy on me :roflol:

As you can see, it can be tough even holding the coin on the barrel, as SLM suspected.

0.3 splits? Nope. The coin is so unstable, I think it'd be impossible to keep the coin there once the sear breaks and/or the hammer hits the frame. I love to have someone prove me wrong, though!. At any rate, I did some triple taps with the coin flat and got around 0.3 on the 3rd set. With the coin on edge, I can pull the trigger until the cylinder indexes, then release the trigger and pull again. Yeah, getting that to 0.3 splits would be cool!

Flip it in the air & shoot it? If I thought I could do it safely, I'd try it. Maybe with an aspirin, so the camera can pick up the poof.

Thanks for all your input!

Flip it in the air & shoot it? If I thought I could do it safely, I'd try it. Maybe with an aspirin, so the camera can pick up the poof.

when i have shot coins with my shotgun, believe me it makes a ZING you cant miss :)

i bet the camera would pick it up (the sound) if you could hit it.

Okay, but how fast are you pulling the trigger? Can you do .3 splits and still keep the coin in position?
0.3 splits? Nope. The coin is so unstable, I think it'd be impossible to keep the coin there once the sear breaks and/or the hammer hits the frame. I love to have someone prove me wrong, though!

Yeah, a stock hammer hits pretty hard, so when you need it smooth and light...Carmonize!!

coindrillcarmonized1Cropped.jpg

Haven't gotten the 0.3 splits with the coin on edge yet, but I broke out my 686 on which Mike had done his magic. The lighter hammer strike makes it possible to complete the trigger pull, though the ribbing along the top o the barrel makes it harder to balance the coin.

Thanks for the input and encouragement. It's been a fun exercise. :cheers:

I like it too! B)

This exercise pretty much proves what I have always believed--that a radically-lightened hammer snaps down with less jarring and jostling. With that video evidence, it doesn't take any great leap of faith to conclude that a lightened hammer would lead to a meaningful improvement in practical accuracy.

Cool stuff!

This exercise pretty much proves what I have always believed--that a radically-lightened hammer snaps down with less jarring and jostling. With that video evidence, it doesn't take any great leap of faith to conclude that a lightened hammer would lead to a meaningful improvement in practical accuracy.

I agree. Even before the exercise, I would've agreed. Though Mike didn't do any accurizing work per se, it didn't take me long to note the gun was significantly more accurate after being Carmonized. Even as an 4" SSR gun, it'll hang with my vintage 6" target K-38 when pointed at a 20-yard B-4 target.

hey i tried this on my revo last night.

is the top of your barrel radiused or flat?

i was trying on my taurus tracker .357. the top of the barrel is radiused, making it near IMPOSSIBLE for me to stand up a nickle. i could lay it flat and have no issues, but even with the gun on a table, no go......

A radiused barrel would certainly make it more difficult. After reading your post, though, with some practice, I balanced (admittedly briefly) on the top of my round-barreled Ruger MkIII 5.5, so it's do-able. If you have something flat - doesn't have to be a revolver, after all - I'd start with that.

A radiused barrel would certainly make it more difficult. After reading your post, though, with some practice, I balanced (admittedly briefly) on the top of my round-barreled Ruger MkIII 5.5, so it's do-able. If you have something flat - doesn't have to be a revolver, after all - I'd start with that.

huh. i need to take a pic and show.

i had the gun resting on the table w/o me touching it, (and im SPECTACULAR at jenga :roflol: ) and i couldnt get that dang nickle to balance to save its life on edge. mebbe i need a newer nickle!

laying down, im able to do 15-20 short strokes, advancing the cylinder before having to reset.

i wanna change my springs and play with my wifes .357 for some reason now! lol

i had the gun resting on the table w/o me touching it, (and im SPECTACULAR at jenga ) and i couldnt get that dang nickle to balance to save its life on edge. mebbe i need a newer nickle!

Stability, like you'd get from resting the gun on a table is important, for sure, but having the contact area between the nickel and barrel perfectly horizontal is key, too. There's very little margin for error, especially on a barrel that's not flat.

As to the nickel, yeah, a newer one would help, as circulation would undoubtedly round the flat edge. I don't have a stash of shiny un-circulated nickels, but when digging through our change jar, I do look for a newer one. Before trying to balance it on a barrel, be sure the nickel itself is able to balance on edge when placed on a nice flat countertop.

I won't lie to you - even getting the coin to balance like in pic #2 in the first post takes a fair bit of practice, so be persistent and patient! Once you get the coin to balance after placing it with your weak hand, the next trick is lowering your weak arm without knocking the coin off. Once you get there, start working on the trigger pull.

good luck & keep us posted! :cheers: