Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Nickle plated .223 brass. Who has it?

wooddog

The Hornady TAP is loaded in nickel cases, but I dont think I've ever really seen any brass for sale.

edit: Did a quick search and it seems like there are a few companies selling Remington nickel .223 brass.

Edited by gose

• 10 months later...

I also had a question very similar to this. I have a friend that shot at a national gaurd base a couple months ago. He brought me back a bunch of various brass. When I started looking through it, I noticed there was a bunch of Nickle plated true 5.56 brass. This was not nickle like the tap rounds are, but rather similar to what a plated pistol round would be. It has a NATO head stamp. I am in the military, and have never come across any of this. I also did an extensive search on it with no results. I am tickled to death to have it, but just curious to what it is and where it came from. Anyone know?

Gaakkkkk! I despise nickel plated brass! I've had nickel flake off & scratch up my dies, imagine what the occasional stray flake could do to your rifles bore. Nickel expands & contracts at a different rate from the brass case it's temporarily stuck to. I've seen it flake off case shoulders, essentially ruining the brass. The ammo manufacturers use nickel cases for three major reasons: 1) Nickel is slicker than brass, and ammo feeds a little more positively. 2)Nickel resists corrosion better than a nekked case can, & 3) It's pretty, and pretty sells before function. In many instances, nickel cases are used in "premium" ammo for the above reasons, but mostly because it's shiney (we need a Homer Simpson smiley), and it make the ammo look special.

Reloading is another situation entirely. Especially for a cartridge that requires regular trimming. I segregate any nickel cases I get, and sell them to the unsuspecting at gunshows.