Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Question for a Junior Shooter

gamingoddess

I got a question for a potential shooter in Indiana. I am not familiar with under 18 laws, let alone junior rules for USPSA.

Here's his question:

"Hey Diana, I have a few questions regarding the "legality" part of my local gun club. My Dad is not as into guns as me, so he really doesn't want to come with me to the competitions. That's fine. I was wondering if you have to be 18 to shoot by yourself or if you can be under 18 with a relative (my uncle). Also, I am trying to figure out Indiana law on taking a handgun to a range under 18. I've read that you can be under 18 and transport a firearm to a shooting competition (as long as its unloaded and NOT within your reach like in a trunk) but i don't know if the my local gun club will allow it. These questions might seem a little rambled....well because they are haha. Any help?"

So can someone be kind enough to give me the quick down and dirty? Thanks!

There are parent rules, also. I feel bad for this junior, but this is better left to family issues at home. Perhaps an uncle or grandparent could supervise. No minor should transport a gun, period. Regardless of the law. There are exceptions, of course.. Juniors race cars-but they don't drive them to the track. You are super nice to try and help, but it is a sticky wicket with great possibilities for going awry. This is where airsoft might help. Maybe-if the Dad were to come to a match, he might see how really ok it is and relent. I try to honor my teenagers requests and it can go against the grain, but it usually comes out all right. Or just have Pharaoh Bender handle it-I think he could swindle a carpet dealer in Cairo- just kidding Pharaoh -dude knows how to talk to junior shooters.

So, I take it you are trying to figure out how to help a junior shooter. You are to be commended. I shoot with my nephew a lot. In fact, I picked him up and we went to Atlanta Indiana today and shot the USPSA match. He is 14 and has been shooting USPSA since he was 10. His Dad is my brother and because of committments and the rigors of family doesn't get to go to many matches. My nephew also shoots (the majority) matches with my Dad, his grandfather. Grandfather legally owns all the guns involved. So, with the blessing of his mother and father, he gets to shoot about 4 matches a month in Indiana/Michigan. I really would like to help more and one day see myself transporting around a junior squad. I think that if his parents give the blessing then an adult could pick him and the equipment up and go to a shoot. I hope this helps, feel free to pm me for any other questions relating to juniors and I'll help if I can.

I just sent a PM to Colt and didn't notice your reply. Thanks for the support fourtrax. I apologize if I wasn't more descriptive. His father supports him 100%, it just seems like there are scheduling problems in terms of transportation. So his uncle offered to drive him from his own house to the range. It's just the drive from the junior's house to his uncle's that worries him (he's almost 18). I think the best bet is that his uncle simply picks him up so that there is an adult with him at all times.

By the way, he has already gone to watch a match with his father after I told him from a couple PMs that instead of reading up about USPSA and watching it on YouTube, the best way to get a taste of the sport was to simply go to the nearest match and see it up close. He was ecstatic that night and now he is simply trying to make sure he's covered in terms of the rules.

Reading your post, I think he would be fine with his father's blessing. Thanks again for your reply!

I think she is saying the junior would have to drive him self to the uncles house with the gun in his car.

I not sure what the age is to have a gun in the car with junior and no adult.

Brent

My 14 year old son has been taken to Area Matches and the AMU Junior Camp by good friends of mine who are fellow shooters. There are forms on the USPSA website, I think in the Nationals area, if you want to be completely proper. No problems.

• 3 weeks later...

Doesn't address Indiana laws:

http://www.uspsa-nationals.org/downloads/C...%20JUVENILE.pdf

...but from:

http://www.indianalaw.to/Indiana_Handgun_Laws.pdf

... the following implies it might be OK to transfer possession of a handgun to a minor if you are the parent, but it does not address the minor transporting it:

35-47-2-7 Sec. 7. (a) Except an individual acting within a parent-minor child or guardian minor

protected person relationship or any other individual who is also acting in compliance with

IC 35-47-10, a person may not sell, give, or in any other manner transfer the ownership or

possession of a handgun or assault weapon (as defined in IC 35-50-2-11) to any person under

eighteen (18) years of age.

Specific to IN, their may be an issue with travelling with a firearm w/o a carry permit...

The law is poorly written, so I've not been 100% sure if "moving" means going to the range or not or just changing residence. Seems about 50/50 depending who you ask. I just got myself and my wife a permit ASAP when we moved here to cover our butts (well, among other reasons to get a carry permit)...

Point being, to be 100% legal he -may- need a carry permit (and be 18)....

best bet is to have an adult with a carry permit with him....

perhaps if he asks around on match day he could find a ride with a regular....

IC 35-47-2-1

Carrying a handgun without a license ...

Sec. 1. (a) Except as provided in ... section 2 of this chapter, a person shall not carry a handgun in any vehicle or on or about the person's body, except in the person's dwelling, on the person's property or fixed place of business, without a license issued under this chapter being in the person's possession.

the questionable part....

IC 35-47-2-2

Excepted persons

Sec. 2. Section 1 of this chapter does not apply to:

(11) any person while carrying a handgun unloaded and in a secure wrapper from the place of purchase to his dwelling or fixed place of business, or to a place of repair or back to his dwelling or fixed place of business, or in moving from one dwelling or business to another.

edit: source : http://www.in.gov/legislative/ic/code/title35/ar47/ch2.html

edit 2: as far as his Dad giving him the gun while under 18, that seems ok:

IC 35-47-2-7

Prohibited sales or transfers of ownership

Sec. 7. (a) Except ... within a parent-minor child ... relationship ... , a person may not sell, give, or in any other manner transfer the ownership or possession of a handgun or assault weapon (as defined in IC 35-50-2-11) to any person under eighteen (18) years of age.

-rvb

Edited by rvb

It's nice that all these folks are trying to help.......but this really is a legal question. Maybe there's an attorney who shoots competitively in IN who can answer this question. Otherwise, no matter how clear it seems, the advice that is relied upon may create a real problem for the kid down the line.

In Indiana, we have 2 types of permits, Hunting/Target and personnel protection. Both require that the person be at least 21 years old. Oddly a person under 21 can own(given as a gift) a handgun but can not purchase, transport or shoot the handgun without an adult who has a permit.

Edited by elynch2007