Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sketchy 9mm Mags! Arrgghh!

ck1

So got my new Match w/ rail in 9mm... I wanted the newest railed model 'cause I was hoping I'd get one of the "improved" 9mm mags w/ the spacer at the rear that Henning mentioned in his '09 shot show thread in the shop forum... Well... Negative, no new mag.

Came with one of the mags with the spacer in front, and while it was 100% through 300rds of wwb it's obvious that nose dives may become a problem at some point.

The gun is scary accurate and I'm shocked by the quality actually... Now I need some mags that aren't so sketchy... Anyone with any info on better 9mm mags please share!

Edited by ck1

• 3 weeks later...

I Must have gotten a good batch when I purchased mine. I ran a lot of 5 Mags from EAA with no issues of nose diving for nearly a year of matches in IDPA and USPSA LIMITED class . The only troubles I encountered at first was with it locking the slide back with 1 rd left in the mag. I took a file an removed just a touch of material off the follwer lip that engaged the slide stop. That fixed it right up. Yes the guns are scary accurate. It is the only pistol I have sold that really wish I hadn't.

Edited by luckyshooter1

• 1 month later...

Hey Lee... Just to let you know it's still running great! I can attest for the large frame

mags mentioned above. Logged 3,200 rds in the 6 pack of mags, evenly without a single issue.

Thanks for the sale!

Mike

Edited by ReelFowlBuck

So got my new Match w/ rail in 9mm... I wanted the newest railed model 'cause I was hoping I'd get one of the "improved" 9mm mags w/ the spacer at the rear that Henning mentioned in his '09 shot show thread in the shop forum... Well... Negative, no new mag.

Came with one of the mags with the spacer in front, and while it was 100% through 300rds of wwb it's obvious that nose dives may become a problem at some point.

The gun is scary accurate and I'm shocked by the quality actually... Now I need some mags that aren't so sketchy... Anyone with any info on better 9mm mags please share!

Here's what I've tried:

1) internal spacers in the large frame magazine (both bar in the front, or spacer at the back),

works, ok, for ball.

2) external spacer/shim on the small frame magazine (1/8 plywood with fitting & sanding & epoxy),

works, great for everything included short loaded rounds (ie Remington/UMC).

3) normal large frame magazine - not much luck after playing with the springs, lip widths, and such.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I just got my Match 9mm on Sat. and it was the older model without the rail. It came with the LPA sight and I believe I have the non-spacer version of the mag. (I don't see anything that would be called a spacer in it.) I've put 200 rounds through it and it's run perfectly. I don't usually load up more than 10 rounds in a mag, but I loaded up 15 rounds twice today and didn't have any nosediving.

(I unfortunately didn't realize that there was a newer railed version until reading around here, or I'd probably have wanted the newer one!)

Edited by amlai

I just got my Match 9mm on Sat. and it was the older model without the rail. It came with the LPA sight and I believe I have the non-spacer version of the mag. (I don't see anything that would be called a spacer in it.) I've put 200 rounds through it and it's run perfectly. I don't usually load up more than 10 rounds in a mag, but I loaded up 15 rounds twice today and didn't have any nosediving.

(I unfortunately didn't realize that there was a newer railed version until reading around here, or I'd probably have wanted the newer one!)

Take a look at the pictures in this post.

My link

So let me get this straight, you guys have run a modified

small frame magazine with 1/8 plywood spacer to the front

back and sides to make the large frame work 100%? I have played

around with the old follower vs grams and old follower works

everytime. you guys loading reloads right? what capacity?

if this is the case I would do it on the 170mm cz mag and 140s

Edited by shooterbenedetto

Take this with a grain of salt, since I'm using a compact large frame.

I ordered the 13rd. small frame compact magazine and add 1/8" plywood shim to the back exterior of the magazine (Hey, I was lazy and used epoxy, I'll do something fancy later). The magazine's I got from CDNN are exactly the same width & height, just not deep enough without the shim. This works with both ball and hollow point, loaded long or short (UMC Remington ball feeds, and S&B hollow points feed).

The alternative solution I tried was using a modified STI type internal spacer at the back of the compact large frame magazine with a small frame follower. This works also, but will still nose dive with some of the hollow points.

Before the doing the modded magazines I could not load/feed more than 10 rounds through my magazines, and hollow points were a disaster. Ammo I'm using is all new/non-reloaded (S&B ball, UMC ball, S&B hp, Gold Dot hp, Winchester white box ball, Federal ball).

Again that's my experience with the compact large frame.

Edited by mwalls

So let me get this straight, you guys have run a modified

small frame magazine with 1/8 plywood spacer to the front

back and sides to make the large frame work 100%? I have played

around with the old follower vs grams and old follower works

everytime. you guys loading reloads right? what capacity?

if this is the case I would do it on the 170mm cz mag and 140s

As i posted before my gunsmith added a metal shim to the back and then added 2 "dots" on each side to center the CZ small frame mags. A dot toward the top and one toward the bottom for a total of 4. The metal shim in the back was enough for function from what I understand but he is a perfectionist and did not want the mags to rattle from side to side. He used my start data from my 9mm Major SPO1 rounds and was running MG 115 gr HPs at 1.1" OAL. I think he has tried some 124grs also. Also for the record he tried a small fram EAA mag first for theory and then he did his final setup using 3 SPO1 magazines and 1 of the 26rd CZ mags.

I have a couple of Mec-Gar MGGT21-16 small frame 9mm mags that are turning in to project mags. So far I added a piece of UHMW POLYETHYLENE STRIP to the back of the mags. This seems to work pretty good, but the mags are a bit too thin. So I have ordered some .050 UHMW to add to the side opposite the mag catch. I will not have the second piece till Monday. I will update then with pictures.

Several sources on the web talk about the transition grooves in the side of the mag to align the rounds from double stack to single stack feeding. Reshaping the side transition grooves in the magazine may be the way to go if you don't want to use small frame mags and shims. Check superdude's article at - http://www.38super.net/Pages/Para%20Magazines.html - to see how side grooves in mags are set up for different calibres. I don't have any 9mm large frame Tanfoglio mags to check - how does the groove on the large frame 9mm mag compare with the small frame mags and with the Para mags shown in the article?

Well it's just about time for me to unsubscribe from this topic... Sorry to report I got rid of my Match 9mm over a month or so ago, ...absolutely loved the gun, but just got sick and tired of the horrible mag headaches. I have a rule with any of the guns I own; if I needed to use it for self defense could I count on it? Because of the sketchy mags, the Match in 9mm is a definite NO... life is too short to be fussing around with an unreliable gun when you could just be shooting more and better using your energies towards improving your shooting skills IMO.

I know some have had good luck with reloading their 9mm to a longer OAL, but I don't reload, and even if I did, having to watch the OAL that hard just to get the gun to work just seems like a PIA...

EAA/Tanfoglio know about the issues with the shorter calibers in the large frame guns but they haven't done anything about it 'cause they're still selling them the way they are, and thet don't care as long as we're buying them IMO...

I hope they start importing the small frame Match's or come out with mags that are redesigned to work properly so we could someday have a reliable 9mm/.40 Elite Match, but right now I think they're selling us a gun with built in issues.

If I ever own another Elite Match it will be in .38 super, .45, or 10mm AKA the one's that work correctly...

Edited by ck1

or come out with mags that are redesigned to work properly

New design mags are due in the next couple of months.

Status of new 9mm Magazines !

Thanks Grimjaw, I'm subscribed to that topic and I'll be looking for them in about 2-3 months and if they actually work I'll be picking up another Match in 9mm... But until then I won't be gluing strips of wood or plastic to the back of small frame mags, I'll just be waiting, shooting my Glocks and getting better as a shooter rather than a DIY gunsmith. ;)

Good luck guys (cheers to new mags that work in around 3 months or so!).

Edited by ck1

Added 2 dots on each side? what does that mean?

I know you have to shim the sides also. Phil can you elaborate.

He welded 2 dots on each side and then polished/filed them down to center the magazine. He measured the width of the large frame mags and small frame mags and added enough material by welding to keep the mag from rattling in the grip.

Plastic shims at the back and one side?

will it be tough enough for reloads? metal would be more durable right?

that is good to know!

The plastic is adhesive backed UHMW. The same stuff cutting boards are made of. So far it Seems strong enough.