Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

38 super comp conversion kit for XL650

I've done my 38 super ammo with 550, with 9mm shellplate and buttons. I'm thinking about getting a 650, and I now noticed that for 650, there's a specific kit for 38 super comp:

650 conversion kits:

9mm/.38 Super #21109

.38 Super Comp #16902

So, I guess that the 9mm/38super would work with all kinds of 9mm/38super/38supercomp, and the 38 super comp -plate works only with rimless brass. Am I right?

This kit isn't in the XL650 manual on the Dillon site, so I guess it's a rather new addition.

Edited by askomiko

I have found that sometimes the 38 sup comp brass will slid out

from under the buttons and the case tip over in the shell plate

when moving into the primer pressing in position, if i move the

handle to fast. I have to sort the brass and load sup comp

by its self. ^_^

I believe the only difference is in the shell plate, super comp and .223/5.56 shell plates are the same. I don't think I had to get different locator buttons.

I know some people who don't bother to sort out the super comp from super brass, they reload it all together.

I know some people who don't bother to sort out the super comp from super brass, they reload it all together.

I've done this so far with the 9mm kit, and I've got a few escaped brass sometimes, just like Slip knot described. Not too much to be a problem though.

• 5 years later...

Sorry to bring back an old topic but I have a question.

Is the reverse also true?

Let's say I have the 9mm/super shell plate and buttons but not the rest of the bits (body bush, case feed adapter, station 1 locator etc).

if I buy the 38 supercomp caliber conversion I assume it comes with the green plastic parts and the small body bush but what about station 1 locator? is is the 9mm one (13456) or the 380 one (13614).

The reason is I have bits of the 9mm setup (shell plate and buttons. But have 38 special station 1 locator, body bush and case feeder adapter parts. So rather than buying a 9mm/super conversion and getting doubles of the shell plate I want to buy the supercomp conversion and then be covered for 9mm/super and then dedicated super comp if I need to. I'm sure the case feed parts are the green ones but unsure on station 1 locator.

It gets expensive to just buy the bits separately!

I did try searching everywhere but cannot find anywhere that lists which parts are in the supercomp conversion kit. :)

I don't have a list of all the parts in a supercomp conversion either. But I do have this:

Needed to convert from 38 Super/9mm to 38 Supercomp:
13345 650 Shellplate - 38 Supercomp/223
Needed to convert from 38 Supercomp to 38 Super/9mm:
13509 650 Shellplate - 38 Super/9mm/9x21
13546 650 Station One Locator 38 Super/9mm/9x21

• 2 years later...

Digging up an old post (but I figured it's better than starting a new one!)...

I want to make sure I have this right. To switch from 9mm to 38 Super Comp on a 650, I need to buy:

13345 - 650 Shellplate - 38 Supercomp/223

13614 - 650 Station 1 Locator - #3 38 Supercomp/223

Is that correct?

My experience is like this:

I have a 650 setup for 9mm

wheb I first tried 38 supercomp brass on it I had a few fly out of the priming station. 

Fast forward 12mths and probably 20,000 9mm and super loaded and I decided to try supercomp again. 

It now works flawlessly with the 9mm shell plate, buttons and station 1. 

My advice: try out the supercomp on your 9mm setup. If it works, great. If not then sure buy the 223 plate etc. 

i know mainly load supercomp on that 9mm shell plate.