Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.223 which bullets are you using

MustangGreg66

I'm still in the process of getting into 3-gun and I was wondering what you guys are running for bullets in the course of the match? Do you shoot all cheapie 55gr FMJ, All match bullets or have a balance of each for long or short stages? What bullets are you shooting?

I was thinking of buying some Hornaday 55gr FMJs from widners (6000 in fact) but was wondering if I'd be under gunned so to speak in the game in terms of accuracy with those bullets.

I use the cheapest 55's FMJBT I can get (right now the Prvi 55's from Wideners) and the Prvi 75's from Wideners. I usually get the 5000 packs with the free shipping to get it as cheap as I can at normal pricing.

The 75's used to do 1-1.5 MOA out of my old main upper. I bought a 500 pack of the Prvi 69's to see how they would do as a possible replacement for the 75's in my new upper.

I didn't have good results with the Widener 62's.

Before the Prvi 75's I used to use Nosler Custom Competition 69's.

So essentially I shoot the cheapest bullet for close targets and the cheapest heavy bullet that will at do 1.5 MOA for the far targets.

I use whatever I can scrounge for under 50 yard shooting, POI doesn't change enough to matter. 45 grain varmint bullets, pulled with cut mark 55's, 55 gr soft points, up to 70 gr round noses.

I use 55 grain Hornadys for normal shooting out to 300 yards.

When accuracy really matters I use Golden West 62 grain bullets as my rifles seem to like them a little better that the 55's.

greg, i see your from richmond, they have a 200 yrd bay, but come on up to sac valley and you will see shots outto 325/350 yrds

for me, the hoser, use therifle like a big pistol forthe close stuff any 55gr will do, im even toying w/ using some 'plated' stuff i aquired a couple of yrs ago...for the long range stuff i still have a stash of black hills 52 gr match

I use the 55gr Hornady FMJBT with cannalure. Be advised that it takes some work to make any rifle bullet perform to expectation. The difference between looking like buckshot hit and a group can be just a 1/2 gr of powder. A grain up or down can move the bullet 6 inches up or down.

I had a great working load put a comp on and had to start over again.