Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Reloading A Production Gun

ErikW

Reloading my 17 is killing me, costing me a lot of time. I'm hitting the magazine opening--more or less--but at the wrong angle. I've become accustomed to an STI grip angle after a few years of shooting it nearly exclusively.

Are there any tricks to getting the magazine there at the correct angle? I think maybe breaking my wrist (bending hand back) will help.

Try bending your right elbow more. When I put in the new mag, my rt-hand forearm is almost vertical, wrist in the normal shooting grip seems to put the magwell at about a 45deg from vertical. So the new mag & forearm look like they're at that 45 degree.

Got both wrists stay fairly locked in place - it really messes things up if the muzzle dips down OR if my new mag come up with my left wrist loose or curled in.

I mimic Matt B's reload from his dvd's - figure .78 or whatever is pretty good. Bringing the Glock back closer to my right cheek (vs using another gun) works pretty well.

No trick? Just practice? frazzle.

There's a little cutout on the front of the bottom of the grip of a G-lock.

I paint this red(I'm modifying Flex's reload aid) and try to insert my left index finger there when I reload.

This assumes you're mags are in the pouch bullets forward, you grab your reload with your left pointer finger laying along the front edge of the mag.

Mostly it's just alot of practice with a good technique.

I just can't believe *I* have to be the one to give the CORRECT answer on this. The blatantly obvious solution is bear grease. You coat the mag and the inside of your well and the exterior of your grip with the stuff. If you hit the well right - the mag rockets right on in with a satisfying slurp. Hit it wrong - and the gun flies out of your hand and sticks into the drywall. Eventually you'll get so sick of prying your gun out of the wall and smelling like bear grease that you'll just do the reload right.

Problem solved.

Erik after an affair with beretta and Para i had the same problem, lot of funny looking screwed up reloads.

what helped me is.

first just focus on the LAST part just the mag insertion.

in that i look at my hand position, angle, rotation and elbow (though elbow change is tiny. the biggest is my angle of push.

just some white on the mag well worked for me. but i don't need it any more though, but i still stick a dab of white out on there from time to time.

Bear grease sounds like it will work, not sure how it will affect the grip though. :lol:

I guess I'll do a search on "barber pole." It's probably illegal under IPSC rules.  ;)

In the book, Brian talks about looking for the seam on the inside of his magwell when doing reloads. Since I shoot a Glock without a magwell, I had to adapt...improvise...overcome. (Can you tell that I am watching Mail Call?)

My "visual cue" is fingernail polish borrowed from FT-GF 11.0. At first, all I found was her red fingernail polish. That wasn't working great...too hard to see. Then I found the white. I added the white for contrast.

I'm sure the polish could be removed if it happened to be illegal for certain games.

post-22-1069740458_thumb.jpg

Erik,

I had the same problem going from SVI to Glock. I use Matt B's technique. Bring gun up to face at 45% angle and do a little hesitation and RAM IT HOME. I found that staring at that mag well and a slight hesitation really helps.

Rob