Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Para Custom Shop

SHinck82

DO NOT SEND your pistol to Para Ordnance! Have a P16 Ltd. that I sent them to install fiber-optic front sight as I bought the gun a couple of years ago. The slide came back to me with a very noticeable scratch on the top near the ejection port. Sent it back to Para (entire gun) because I was having problems with the trigger and ask that it be refinished, which they stated they would do for $25. The gun came back with the a different color "parkerized" marker job on the spot of the scratch that didn't match. The frame on the left side looks like it had been beat on. I sent to e-mails to customer service with pictures complaining which were ignored.

WILL NEVER buy anything of theirs again....unless it is used and real cheap and NEVER SEND them anything for repairs. Para-Ordnance apparently did not have any respect for me by the way my firearm was treated and that is inconceivable. The gun was returned in worse condition than it was sent.

GOOD LUCK!

Paras customer service has been pretty bad lately during their move to the US from what I've heard. My Para had a few issues when I first got mine a little over a year ago and it was sent back and returned fixed in 2 weeks. Since then it's ran great through 3000 rounds and been completly reliable. I have done all the mods myself also since then. A more expensive gun is not going to make you shoot better,practice and dedication is going to make you a better shooter.

What are you wanting to do to your pistol anyway?

Para did a run of pistols for the U.S. Border Patrol, for personal purchase and not duty, and all the ones that I saw, which was several, had problems. With that being said, I believe the Para can be a good gun in the right hands but personally I would let my own 'smith work on it rather than Para.

Does Para have a custom shop? I can't find anything on the site. If they do what do they do and are they any good? Or is there anyone else you would recommend going with? I shot a Hi-Cap P14 45

When I bought the Todd Jarrett model P16.40, I expected a gun set up for racing. I got a gun set up for plinking. So I had my gunsmith do a trigger job and give it an overall tweaking. When I later had other problems with the gun, I sent it to Para, and they **re-set the trigger to its original settings**.

After a few months of back and forth between Para and my gunsmith, the P16 eventually achieved reliability, but once I found a deal on my current limited gun (Jim Anglin SVI/Caspian 6"), the Para became a safe queen. It's now strictly for backup and loaner use.

Edited by bbbean

Thx for the help, most of the 1911 Commander items should fit correct? Are the mec-gar mags any good?

Most of the commander parts for the frame will work,just try and get government model parts if you can. I have not heard to much about the mec-gar mags,I have 4 factory Para mags and they work great.

For trigger work, I'd have to recommend Rich, at Canyon Creek.

I own a Para Ordnance P-16 (.40 cal) which I purchased some years ago at a great price. The dealer was relocating to another part of town and was clearing out his inventory. I proceeded to strip out most of the factory parts including hammer, trigger, beavertail and main spring housing. Replacing with mostly Ed Brown parts I sent to Brazos for fitting and trigger job. What I got back was nothing short of great, I did however ship it back to Para for refinishing. They applied their Para Kote finish and had back to me in a few days.

Surprisingly the finish has held up very well, it now has a smooth 3lb trigger along with Novak sights which are great. If I hadn't made those changes I'm sure I would have gotten rid of it sooner.

Para doesn’t have a custom shop like Springfield or S&W. They will not do trigger jobs as we define them all they will do is put stock factory parts in the gun. If you want a trigger job for you’re Para there are many great gun smiths on this site that can do that work for you. Para guns are a basically a 1911 so 90% of the parts will interchange.

• 10 months later...

Another vote for Rich at Canyon Creek. He built my P16 (for someone else). I'm very happy with the work done.

Para Mags are the way to go. Either factory +2 base pads or Dawson's, factory springs and factory or Arredondo followers in mine.

Arredondo: www.arredondoaccessories.com

Dawson Precision: www.dawsonprecision.com