Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What the heck is java anyway?

I was going to go ahead and link in HLMGTFY, but I thought I'd let somebody get a shot off. ;)

And, that is the reason I never asked before. Yet, I know me. I will end up spending hours researching java, when I really just need a Reader's Digest version.

I was going to go ahead and link in HLMGTFY, but I thought I'd let somebody get a shot off. ;)

And, that is the reason I never asked before. Yet, I know me. I will end up spending hours researching java, when I really just need a Reader's Digest version.

Any if you had to take a guess who would be the one to take the shot? :ph34r:

Any if you had to take a guess who would be the one to take the shot? :ph34r:

To use one of my favorite "Top Gun" lines: "The list is long, but distinguished!"

dj

Disclaimer: I am not a computer geek. So take what I offer for what it is.....

To the best of my knowledge, Java is a programming language that works on just about every operating system. It was written to work on mobile devices like phones ans such as well as most (if not all) computers. It makes graphical information work on a bunch of systems.

It is free and once installed pretty much stays in the background unless a new version comes out, then your computer will tell you it's available.

The reason I allow it on my computer is that a lot, if not most, internet sites that are professionaly done use some type of java applications. If you load it, you can see the spplication, be it advertising or whatnot. If you choose not to load it, you cannot see them.

I don't know if any reason not to load it and let it do it's work in the background.

Back to my disclaimer. I'm just another layperson who likes to shoot guns and surf the internet.

fwiw

dj

Java actually encompasses several things... :) But, the part you need - and the part that is generally what people are actually installing/upgading - is the Java Virtual Machine. That's the part that runs Java applications.

Java is used by a bunch of website applications to do various things. In and of itself, having a JVM on your systems shouldn't slow anything down - and the current generation of JVMs seem to be pretty solid. Bear in mind that Microsoft's JVM is known (at least in the past) for being non-standard (there was a big lawsuit over it in the past, and Microsoft lost $1 billion over it). You might do best to download it from Sun directly: http://www.java.com/en/download/index.jsp

Java is a portable (i.e. works on multiple platforms) programming language. Some programs written with Java need to have the Java Runtime installed or they won't work.

If you want to know what you have that needs it, just uninstall it and wait to see what stops working. I know that sounds flippant, but I'm basically serious. Sometimes it gets installed for a program that you no longer use. At the worst, you'll have to reinstall it (easy) and you'll have the latest version.

I will throw in a Nitpick here :P and say that there is a difference between a "Java PROGRAM" and "Java SCRIPT."

Both require the previously mentioned Java Run time Environment (JRE) but Java SCRIPT is normally in a webpage design as part of the page. A Java PROGRAM can stand alone and run by itself without a webpage just like a word processor and so on.

Both require the previously mentioned Java Run time Environment (JRE)

False. Javascript is an interpreted scripting language who's syntax is Java-like (and therefore, C-like), but it is not Java, and does not require the JRE or JVM to be executed. Any modern browser has a Javascript Engine built in as part of the browser ;) Javascript is interprete by a Javascript Engine. Java is interpreted by a Java Virtual Machine. The Java that you install on your system is a JVM, and is used to interpret and run Java programs, not Javascript.

but Java SCRIPT is normally in a webpage design as part of the page. A Java PROGRAM can stand alone and run by itself without a webpage just like a word processor and so on.

Javascript actually can be run standalone, if you have a Javascript Engine that will do so... but that's definitely not the common use case.

I just don't like stuff running in the background. I was wondering if it was a hog.

Now it's on an auto-update, which I really don't like...but, I have to go dig on their website to learn how to turn off the auto-update, I guess.

I just don't like stuff running in the background. I was wondering if it was a hog.

Now it's on an auto-update, which I really don't like...but, I have to go dig on their website to learn how to turn off the auto-update, I guess.

Good luck... I turned it off and it still wanted to access the internet. I finally got pissed and removed it...

Both require the previously mentioned Java Run time Environment (JRE)

False. Javascript is an interpreted scripting language who's syntax is Java-like (and therefore, C-like), but it is not Java, and does not require the JRE or JVM to be executed. Any modern browser has a Javascript Engine built in as part of the browser ;) Javascript is interprete by a Javascript Engine. Java is interpreted by a Java Virtual Machine. The Java that you install on your system is a JVM, and is used to interpret and run Java programs, not Javascript.

but Java SCRIPT is normally in a webpage design as part of the page. A Java PROGRAM can stand alone and run by itself without a webpage just like a word processor and so on.

Javascript actually can be run standalone, if you have a Javascript Engine that will do so... but that's definitely not the common use case.

I was simplifying a bit too greatly I guess :D I was also thinking that most of the time, when you upgrade the JRE/JVM on your box...it also updates the browsers script management as well. ;)

I was simplifying a bit too greatly I guess :D I was also thinking that most of the time, when you upgrade the JRE/JVM on your box...it also updates the browsers script management as well. ;)

What it's actually updating is the JRE plugin for the browser :) And yeah, a JRE update will usually update the browser plugins for all the browsers on the machine it knows about. The JRE plugin allows the browser to run Java apps internal to the browser without having to download the applet and fire up a separate JVM to run the applet. The Javascript Engine is a built in part of the browser - you get upgrades to that by upgrading the browser itself (at least in all of the browser implementations I'm familiar with - in theory, someone could develop a browser where the Javascript Engine is also a plugin of some sort).

• 5 months later...

Stop worrying and learn to love the bomb. Let is auto-update, it is really for your own good. On any kind of modern hardware the background updater will cause no meaningful load, but ending up with an unpatched JVM with maybe a security hole is silly. Also, you really want a JVM or lots of stuff won't work for you nowadays, so completely removing it is a silly idea as well, as far as I am concerned.

And I don't even like java as a programing language.

JAVA is needed.

AUTO-UPDATE is good thing for JAVA and Microsoft Updates----but select you want to pick the time to install. Like install the updates just before your ready to signoff or you will go from GM to D in an update! smile.gif