Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Trojan, checkering the front strap

skip62

Hey all, anyone know if there's enough meat to checker the front strap of a Trojan? I'd like 20 lpi, but if 30's all I can do that's fine. This is the only thing I don't like about this pistol.

Thanks

Skip,

I agree with you that the STIppling leaves you wanting a little more texture. If I could have changed one thing with mine, it would be the front strap. I started out with skate tape but felt it wasn't grippy enough. So I tried "ladder tape" from Home Depot and that seems to work pretty good. I don't know what the grit is, but it's pretty dang aggressive. Plus its way cheaper than checkering, albeit not as aesthetically pleasing as a good checkering job.

Just throwing it out there...

hey 2More, that's actually what I'm using, it's good, but my open gun has 20 lpi, and it can't move when you grab it, I like that. thanks though

Have you thought about using a checkered insert to simply cover the chain link pattern with checkering? I guess you could even do a little careful grinder work to make the front strap smooth and then use the insert and the size change would be almost zero.

http://egw-guns.com/store/index.php?main_p...products_id=131

It might look pretty good if you just checker right over the existing texture with 25 lpi, 20 lpi would be too deep to have part of the depression still there.

Rich

Rich, would 30LPI be possible on a Trojan, or would it look like socks on a rooster...thanks, Kirby

• 3 weeks later...
hey 2More, that's actually what I'm using, it's good, but my open gun has 20 lpi, and it can't move when you grab it, I like that. thanks though

Have you thought about using a checkered insert to simply cover the chain link pattern with checkering? I guess you could even do a little careful grinder work to make the front strap smooth and then use the insert and the size change would be almost zero.

http://egw-guns.com/store/index.php?main_p...products_id=131

That might be the ticket. It says they machine out the frame and tig in the insert. Now that he's not doing gun work, I wonder if you buy the insert and then have to find a smith to do the work. I'll ask him.

I've used the Wilson's in the past, and think the skid tape is just as good. thanks though

Correctly installing an EGW checkered insert is no easy task. It takes a LOT of time to do really well and will be expensive on labor. If your not too concerned about cosmetics you might get it a little cheaper.

STI frontstraps are pretty thick, if you take some measurements it should be pretty easy to see if it can be done. There are quite a few places that can do machine checkering, I would contact Pete Single and see what he says.

• 7 months later...

I checked into the EGW checkered insert. EGW referred me to the guy that used to do it for them.

If I recall correctly, getting the insert and job done was about $275.00. Not including the shipping.

Right now I'm running skate tape, and it works great !