Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

So the little lady wants a new car, she found one that I think is a pretty good deal. I was wondering if anyone on the board had a carfax account that might be able to take a peek at it for any problems? It is only a 2008 with 11,000 miles.

Thanks

Brad

While getting a Carfax is a good thing, it should not be the only thing. I went to purchase (across state) a car with a clean carfax only to learn that it had been significantly wrecked. I have no idea how their system works, but it is not perfect by any means.

Buyer beware!

I don't know how it works for sure but it seems to be tied to insurance some how. My car was in a minor fender bender before I bought it that was repaired through insurance and it showed up on the carfax.

A buddy of mine dinged his SUV up pretty good (way worse damage than my car had) but it was his fault. He hit a cement and brick 3 foot square mail box pole and destroyed the fender, bumper, wheel, and some other structural supports and suspension components. He didn't report it to his insurance, paid darn near $6,500.00 for the truck and pole and a year and half later when he sold it, it didn't show up on a CarFax check as ever being in a wreck.

Remember, CARFAX and other reporting agencies can only report reported losses from participating insurance companies. adjusters etc. An absence of CARFAX data does not mean there have been no losses to a vehicle. many time losses are repaired and not reported so inspect the vehicle closely.