Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

dillon power trimmer

hey, called dillon today about their power trimmer. i think i`m going to get it. they told me there would be no need to chamfer or deburr case after trim because of its hi-speed motor. gent said he uses his on .223 cases and never has to do those steps and it won`t shave copper on the bullet. what do you guys think? its a toss-up between the dillon and the hornady case prep center because the hornady also has built in deburring and chamfer tools. thanks for any help!

• 2 weeks later...
Just wondering what's so darn special about 7.62 x 39 that I'd have to buy two trimmers?

Nothing is special about the caliber. But - Some will say that the flat base bullets are hard(er) to seat without some shaving of the bullet with the Dillon trimmer as it does not really put an inside chamfer on the case. If you tumble the cases after trimming for (quite) a while it does help by smoothing then case mouth to some extent.

Just my .02

Edit to add. I really like my Dillon trimmer and would not consider trading it for any of the others. It works very well for my uses.

Edited by Merlin Orr

I've had one for years. It's really great. One thing I learned early is that when I run a case up inside it to pause for a second or two before bringing it back out. That takes any burs off the mouth of the case. Hooking a small shop vac to it pulls any shavings away and helps keep it cool.

If you want to load flat base bullets just hold the bullet until it reach's the base of the die

and just go slow enough not to pinch your fingers.

I use the rt1200 on all my rifle brass, the edge is left square

but you will not find any burrs on the case neck.

This trimmer is a big time saver I would highly reccomend it.

Just wondering what's so darn special about 7.62 x 39 that I'd have to buy two trimmers?

Nothing is special about the caliber. But - Some will say that the flat base bullets are hard(er) to seat without some shaving of the bullet with the Dillon trimmer as it does not really put an inside chamfer on the case. If you tumble the cases after trimming for (quite) a while it does help by smoothing then case mouth to some extent.

Just my .02

Edit to add. I really like my Dillon trimmer and would not consider trading it for any of the others. It works very well for my uses.

If there is nothing special about this caliber, I wonder why Dillon sees fit to make me buy two complete trimmers to trim .223 and 7.62 x 39? At that point I'm over the price of a Giraud and don't have to worry about chamfering. That would be a nice feature as well, as not everyone shoots jacketed boat tails.

Just remember when you are trimming with the Dillon unit, then you are trimming the brass, do a Two count (1001, 1002) when it is cutting to let it totally clean up the cut. If you just try to go through the brass like you are loading pistol ammo, you will not have a uniform cut and it will be jagged and you will have another step to do for the brass prep..... :wacko:

That is some been there done that advice...... :cheers:

DougC

FWIW...My Dillon trimmer works great. Easy and fast.

To answer the OP's question...my own personal experience is that I do not chamfer/debur .223 (MG 55gr). I do chamfer/debur .308 (SMK 168gr). The .308's were shaving and for me, its just a smoother operation to chamfer.

I don't use the vacuum. I'd rather clean up the mess than listen to that noise. :)

Just remember when you are trimming with the Dillon unit, then you are trimming the brass, do a Two count (1001, 1002) when it is cutting to let it totally clean up the cut. If you just try to go through the brass like you are loading pistol ammo, you will not have a uniform cut and it will be jagged and you will have another step to do for the brass prep..... :wacko:

That is some been there done that advice...... :cheers:

DougC

Doug its always good to get been there done that advice,good stuff bro!

might sound like a dumb question,but does the vac have to be on the whole time your trimming,or every few rounds or what?

I leave the vacuum on the whome time the trimmer is running. In addition to sucking the shaving out, I like to think it helps to cool things down a bit, too.

The vacuum and trimmer do get loud. I built an enclosure under the shelves behind my reloading bench to house the vacuum but I still wear earmuffs when running the trimmer/vacuum.