Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

unservicable handgun in match

cnote

Hypothetical situation

$1800 2011 in limited goes down during a level 2 or 3 match and becomes unservicable. Friend has a spare Glock 35 in car. Can it be used with the permission of the range master?? Discussion at last weekends match resulted in the answer being NO per the exact situation being posed at RO training class -

Considered a competitive advantage. I don't really see how it is , but could anyone explain please. I am not looking to bash either style of pistol in this discussion.

thanks

5.1.7 Competitors must use the same handgun and type of sights for all

courses of fire in a match. However, in the event that a competitor’s

original handgun and/or sights become unserviceable or unsafe during

a match, the competitor must, before using a substitute handgun and/or

sights, seek permission from the Range Master who may approve the

substitution provided he is satisfied:

5.1.7.1 The substitute handgun satisfies the requirements of the relevant

Division.

5.1.7.2 In using the substitute handgun the competitor will not gain a

competitive advantage.

5.1.7.3 The competitor’s replacement handgun and its appropriate

ammunition must be chronographed per Rule 5.6, regardless of

whether or not the original handgun was previously tested.

5.1.7.4 If the original handgun/ammunition was not previously tested,

and if the original handgun has already been used on a stage, and

can be safely fired (i.e. the malfunction is not related to an

inability to safely fire the handgun), then the original handgun

and its ammunition supply remain subject to testing.

Long story short: 5.1.7 says that it's not acceptable to pick and choose a gun dependent on the stage challenge, i.e. a really heavy gun for 50 yard standards, followed by a switch to a very light blaster for a stage with wide transitions, followed by a switch to something in the middle for the third stage. This is practical shooting, not Golf....

5.1.7 further says that if a gun breaks one must consult the RM prior to making a switch and that the RM needs to approve the switch if he's satisfied on a few points...

5.1.7.1 -- the replacement needs to be division legal -- everything fits into Open, most things fit into Limited or L10, fewer things fit into Production, Revolver and SS. It's Go/No-go question.....

5.1.7.2 is where it gets tricky --- with the whole competitive advantage language. In my opinion, most everything is a tradeoff: That 50 oz. blaster may be great on standards, but it'll be harder to transition, etc. Additionally -- if there were an advantage to the competitor's back-up gun, wouldn't he be using it as his primary already? Factor in that most competitors won't consider switching until they've had the jam from hell, or until the gun's quit in the middle of the stage --- and they might be out of the running already....

The rest of section 5.1.7 deals with the calibration requirements of shooting a match with multiple blasters.....

I don't see why it should be denied. The G35 would satisfy all requirement (providing the G35 is chrono with the ammo) of the division the 2011 was in. No competitive advantage as far as the gun goes (it's not like you are going to switch back and forth between the two guns).

What if the guns were reversed? Glock goes down (rare i know) and a buddy has a spare S?I or something? Is there any advantage to shooting an unfamiliar gun? I'm slower with 1911/2011 guns than with a Glock because of dealing with the safety and so forth. Is the competitive advantage based purely on the gun or is the shooter taken into account too?

What if the guns were reversed? Glock goes down (rare i know) and a buddy has a spare S?I or something? Is there any advantage to shooting an unfamiliar gun? I'm slower with 1911/2011 guns than with a Glock because of dealing with the safety and so forth. Is the competitive advantage based purely on the gun or is the shooter taken into account too?

See my earlier post.

Troy

I think 5.2.5.3 would be the problem in this scenario.

he would not be removing or changing the POSITION of the holster. 5.2.5.3 prevents a competitor from removing the holster or mag pouch because it gets in the way.