Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Football cleats vs Soccer cleats

Cy Soto

I really like the Adidas Turf Hog Mid Baseball shoe.

They have a lot of little nubbies that work great in all conditions we incounter in this sport.

Never had an issue with them slipping on wet walkway or beams.

Check them out at the link below.

http://www.zappos.com/n/p/p/7312668/c/1229...CFcZM5QodDUfzbQ

Another fan of Adidas Turf Hogs here!! Mine died sometime ago and I've been to lazy to go find another pair (that's why I fell on my ass on that video). Francisco loves his. John, thanks for reminding me I needed to buy new hogs! BTW, they make them low and mid.

After reviewing the Adidas Turf Hog I am soooo tempted to get a pair. I have not had any problems with the pair of Adidas Triple Star 5 Mid that I have, but all of the positive reviews that I have read make me curious.

Adidas is the primary brand of athletic shoes that I wear for the sports that I participate in (fencing, basketball, & shooting sports), and they have such a variety to choose from that I can always find something that works for me.

I don't need a new pair of athletic shoes currently, but these will be on my list for the future.

Cy Soto> Improve your shooting beyond needing cleats. Sure they can allow you to accelerate and decelerate very aggressively but those movements are usually opposite of what a smooth stage run requires. Cleats also make it harder to pivot your feet while in a shooting position. Don’t get me wrong, cleats have their place in some conditions, but those are usually wet slippery conditions. You need a shoe with some decent traction, but the way I see it, if you need cleats to get traction you are running the stage incorrectly. You have seen me shoot and move through a stage, I can haul ass and never lose traction with the hiking shoes I use. The best overall shoe for shooting at all of the local ranges in Colorado I have found are the North Face Hedgehog. First and foremost, they are comfortable. Walking around in cleats all day will murder your feet. Second they are really light weight and the mid height keeps out most of the sand and rocks from getting inside the shoe. They have a fairly aggressive traction pattern on the sole but more importantly the rubber used on the sole is pretty soft. So they get really good traction on, dirt, grass, wood, and even the slick concrete floors at the indoor ranges. Ever since I have started using the Hedgehog’s I have not gone back to using cleats. They are simply not needed.

If you absolutely want some cleats, the best ones I have found are made by Easton and are called the Gator Mid. They are football cleats and their traction nubs are biased in a way that allows for the best forward and stopping acceleration. The traction nubs also go to the outer edge of the sole of the shoe. They work really well when needed but as I said before, wearing them all day at a match will kill your feet. At this point, I think I would only use these cleats if the range was a mud bog.

Listed below are links to the shoes that I have recommended. The next time you go to a match, check out the footwear of the top shooters. Most of them are not using cleats but instead some form of hiking shoe.

North Face HedgeHog GTX

http://www.thenorthface.com/webapp/wcs/sto...tegory_rn=11706

Easton Gator Mid

http://www.brandsplace.com/0177-epm33278.html

They have a lot of little nubbies that work great in all conditions we incounter in this sport.

Another fan of Adidas Turf Hogs here!! Mine died sometime ago and I've been to lazy to go find another pair (that's why I fell on my ass on that video). Francisco loves his. John, thanks for reminding me I needed to buy new hogs! BTW, they make them low and mid.

where is that video

where is that video

Here... <_<

I have a pair of those and really like them. Very comfortable for all day wear. I wear them to and from the my matches as well cause the chicks dig em.

Cy Soto> Improve your shooting beyond needing cleats. Sure they can allow you to accelerate and decelerate very aggressively but those movements are usually opposite of what a smooth stage run requires. Cleats also make it harder to pivot your feet while in a shooting position. Don’t get me wrong, cleats have their place in some conditions, but those are usually wet slippery conditions. You need a shoe with some decent traction, but the way I see it, if you need cleats to get traction you are running the stage incorrectly. You have seen me shoot and move through a stage, I can haul ass and never lose traction with the hiking shoes I use. The best overall shoe for shooting at all of the local ranges in Colorado I have found are the North Face Hedgehog. First and foremost, they are comfortable. Walking around in cleats all day will murder your feet. Second they are really light weight and the mid height keeps out most of the sand and rocks from getting inside the shoe. They have a fairly aggressive traction pattern on the sole but more importantly the rubber used on the sole is pretty soft. So they get really good traction on, dirt, grass, wood, and even the slick concrete floors at the indoor ranges. Ever since I have started using the Hedgehog’s I have not gone back to using cleats. They are simply not needed.

If you absolutely want some cleats, the best ones I have found are made by Easton and are called the Gator Mid. They are football cleats and their traction nubs are biased in a way that allows for the best forward and stopping acceleration. The traction nubs also go to the outer edge of the sole of the shoe. They work really well when needed but as I said before, wearing them all day at a match will kill your feet. At this point, I think I would only use these cleats if the range was a mud bog.

Listed below are links to the shoes that I have recommended. The next time you go to a match, check out the footwear of the top shooters. Most of them are not using cleats but instead some form of hiking shoe.

North Face HedgeHog GTX

http://www.thenorthface.com/webapp/wcs/sto...tegory_rn=11706

Easton Gator Mid

http://www.brandsplace.com/0177-epm33278.html

Since the thread was about Football Cleats vs. Soccer Cleats (and other cleats thrown in), I did not post about any other shoes that I wear while participating in shooting sports. If the conditions are not bad enough for me to need cleats, I wear my normal footwear, which are Ariat Terrain Boots. They are basically casual hiking shoes that are also for horseback riding. I wore them when I first started into shooting sports, and they worked fine. I did not run into wet muddy conditions in my early matches, so I did not bother to get cleats. I saw photos of some matches that were muddy, and picked some Adidas cleats that I have now. They came in handy shortly after I got them. I prefer to wear the Ariat boots because that is what I wear normally day to day, but I have the cleats for inclimate weather that shows a need for the cleats.

What are the advantages of using some kind of cleat for shooting. Also, what cleat is kind of wide.

I wear the low cut version of the Turf Hog. Seems to be a good shoe. Wore UA football cleats before that - when they changed the design they got uncomfortable for me, so I ended up w/ the Hogs. I like 'em better than the UAs... and they're a lot more comfortable for me than any Land Shark I've tried on. Can't comment on the others ;)

• 4 weeks later...

IMO i would stay away from a soccer cleat. As stated they are lower around the ankle and don't give much support there.

i don't wear cleats yet but will shortly. i am loooking at a baseball style turf shoe for most shooting. if it rains you may be in trouble. look at purchasing two pairs.

I guess I'm the only one who has decided to wear soccer cleats. I've always gone with the molded cleats versus the models with the shiny underside and spikes.

I'm no lightweight and have not had a problem with my adidas soccer cleats helping me dig in to get some speed or help stop me from a sprint. They are good for the 3-4 hours I'm on my feet and assist well when chasing any of the faster shooters on longer field courses.

To each his/or her own. I have a pair of mid height football shoes that have a strap over the in-step and I can't wear those for long unless I use my orthotics. I prefer to wear and have gotten comfortable about with my soccer cleats.