Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Production Class Grips

D.Hayden

I got this from the Beretta forum:

If Beretta supply some pistols with that grip, then you can buy it as a spare-part from Beretta and put it on any Beretta 92/96 that it fits on. And since all 92/96 frames are identical (for the grip that is..except vertec) then that grip is perfectly legal.

You have to find the holes in the rules

Is this true? I would think: no. Otherwise I could replace any parts I wanted to.

Thanks

Hi guys,

The advice you've been given is not quite correct, at least in respect of IPSC Production Division. The fact that Beretta generally manufactures (or offers) a variety of grips is irrelevant.

For grips to be legal under IPSC Production Division rules, the test question is "Does Beretta offer their X grip as an option on the Beretta NN pistol?". If the answer is yes, then the replacement grips are legal, otherwise they are not.

In other words, if you have a Beretta 92FS, and the choice of grips offered by Beretta for that model are limited to Versions A, B & C, you cannot use the Version D grip which is only offered as an option on, say, a Beretta Vertec 92G.

Hope this helps.

If I'm reading this correctly, my S&W 5906 did not come from the factory with Hogue checkered wood grips. Using IPSC rules as a guide, I can NOT put these grips on my new blaster?

I can see not allowing extended or weighted grips but where's the advantage in replacing the factory plastic grips with a set of wood ones?

<_<

Chuck,

If S&W offer "Hogue checkered wood grips" for their Model 5906, then that's a factory option for that partucular model gun, so you're good to go.

However let's say S&W do not offer those particular grips for that particular gun. You can still fit the grips as an "aftermarket" product provided they match the profile of the factory grips (i.e. it's not necessary that they be of the same material - just the same profile).

Hope this clariifes.

• 5 years later...

Hey Guys, I'm realitively new to the forum. Am shooting my first IPSC this Saturday with my Beretta 96 FS. I have Pacmayer wrap around grips on my weapon. Is this going to pose a problem for me? I will be shooting 180 grain Speer FN pushed by 5.2 grains of Bullseye. Any thoughts? I already loaded 200 rounds for this weekend. I have no chrono data on the load but literature search and graphing yield a PF that could put me in Minor.

Any feedback from Beretta shooters would be appreciated.

Hey Guys, I'm realitively new to the forum. Am shooting my first IPSC this Saturday with my Beretta 96 FS. I have Pacmayer wrap around grips on my weapon. Is this going to pose a problem for me? I will be shooting 180 grain Speer FN pushed by 5.2 grains of Bullseye. Any thoughts? I already loaded 200 rounds for this weekend. I have no chrono data on the load but literature search and graphing yield a PF that could put me in Minor.

The USPSA rule book is a great place to find answers to questions about your equipment and what is considered legal for use in the different divisions.

http://www.uspsa.org/rules/2008HandgunRulesindexed.pdf

That gun could probably be shot in Production, Limited 10 or Limited. The most restrictive division is Production so it's got the most limitations as far as equipment goes. You can learn about it in Appendix D4 and further in Appendix E2-4. One thing though is that all Production shooters are scored minor so even if that load makes major, it won't help your scoring any if you shot Production. But, if you are wanting to shoot in Limited or Limited 10 class then you will see the benefit. Get your load chrono'd soon if you can and verify that you're making major.

To be honest though, at a local match when you are just starting out, bring what you have and shoot. Get the experience and pay far more attention to the safety and scoring rules. As you get some experience and ask the zillion question that you'll have, you will hone you gear down to something that works well for you and is legal in your chosen division tool. Move in small bumps and ask the more experienced shooters around what has worked for them. You will save yourself a lot of headache, time and money. Welcome to the sport!

The USPSA rule book is a great place to find answers to questions about your equipment and what is considered legal for use in the different divisions.

http://www.uspsa.org/rules/2008HandgunRulesindexed.pdf

That gun could probably be shot in Production, Limited 10 or Limited. The most restrictive division is Production so it's got the most limitations as far as equipment goes. You can learn about it in Appendix D4 and further in Appendix E2-4. One thing though is that all Production shooters are scored minor so even if that load makes major, it won't help your scoring any if you shot Production. But, if you are wanting to shoot in Limited or Limited 10 class then you will see the benefit. Get your load chrono'd soon if you can and verify that you're making major.

To be honest though, at a local match when you are just starting out, bring what you have and shoot. Get the experience and pay far more attention to the safety and scoring rules. As you get some experience and ask the zillion question that you'll have, you will hone you gear down to something that works well for you and is legal in your chosen division tool. Move in small bumps and ask the more experienced shooters around what has worked for them. You will save yourself a lot of headache, time and money. Welcome to the sport!

In the USPSA:

If the grips come from a gun on the production division (not class) approved list, they can be used on another gun on the production division approved list. Same goes for all OEM parts. Extended slide stops, mag release, etc.

Approved Modifications: Internal beveling, checkering, stippling, addition of grip tape or grip sleeves.

Specifically Prohibited: Any addition or removal of material which changes the factory profile or adds function such as beavertail or thumbrest.